Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I transfer my Windows from my SSD to one of my installed HDs?  (Read 2455 times)

mocha_lattes

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    I currently have two hard drives and a solid state drive in my computer. My Windows (10 upgraded from 7) is currently installed on my SSD however I was informed recently that my SSD is going to burn out. (It's using 100% processing power or something like that which I was told it shouldn't be doing and it's going to fail soon. I don't know the specifics just what I was told.) I was going to reinstall Windows on my computer to one of the hard drives but I cannot find my Windows disk so I want to know how/if I can transfer it from the SSD to one of my HDs. I appreciate any help. I am a basic computer user so please include step by step instructions. Thank you!

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Can I transfer my Windows from my SSD to one of my installed HDs?
      « Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 05:34:53 AM »
      You can clone the SSD to one of your HDDs if the HDD is empty and larger in capacity than the SSD.

There are many cloning applications for Windows. The tried and true one that I've had success with is Clonezilla. It's free, but be advised it is not the most user-friendly application.

http://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-content.php?topic=clonezilla-live/doc/03_Disk_to_disk_clone

I've tried to clone a system disk with the free versions of other applications such as AOMEI Backupper and Macrium Reflect. These seem like great programs but I was unable to clone and boot from a system partition with the free version. I'm fairly certain that the paid version is required to do that. If anyone has different information please feel free to correct me.

However whatever you do I strongly recommend that you create a Windows 10 installation disk before you make any changes. You can make one for free, by downloading the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft and writing it to a USB thumbdrive with Rufus.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
      https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go

strollin

Adviser
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 06:39:49 AM »
      The free versions of the various cloning applications should be able to clone a drive without issue.  Check the features list of Macrium Reflect here: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.  It clearly shows that the free version supports direct disk cloning.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 07:05:31 AM »
      I've used Macrium reflect to clone boot drives to replace them a number of times.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 09:05:03 AM »
        Thanks for your responses. I will try Macrium again.

Edit: I see, it was indeed human error... I was trying to clone a system partition, not the entire drive, so the MBR was excluded. Thanks again.
        « Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:30:54 AM by nil »
        Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go