Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need advice upgrading my PC  (Read 1879 times)

Ghostwalker

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Need advice upgrading my PC
    « on: February 15, 2018, 07:36:36 PM »
    So i bought this PC about two years ago on a limited budget. It has worked great but obviously i do need a better GPU as i only have a 750ti in it. I can play games but FPS isn't steady and sometimes i do get big drops which makes game play unplayable for a couple of seconds or so. The MB is needed as two slots in it gave out. One day they were working and the next day they weren't. The MB still works and all, but i been told my RAM isn't getting full use cause of how i have had to place them. So i need a new MB and a new GPU.

Also looking to buy a new monitor. Something around 25 inches or so.

Here is the speccy link for my system, any advice welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/rTm3MHB7zbNu6AT5BIv8XI4
    « Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:11:05 PM by Ghostwalker »

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Need advice upgrading my PC
      « Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 01:25:15 PM »
      Hi
      Thanks so much for the speccy report , This has meant I have been able to check so many things very quickly.

First off the memory dual channel problem. Your motherboard would need the 2 * 4gb memory modules installed in the grey sockets  as per page 16 of the manual, the manual is here.

https://images10.newegg.com/UploadFilesForNewegg/itemintelligence/g/mb_manual_ga_z97x_sli_e1401382886486.pdf

Also have you tried setting up Avast for gaming mode ? This is the most likely cause of the game FPS not being steady. check here as it explains better than I can.
      https://blog.avast.com/gamer-takes-on-avast-game-mode-does-it-really-work-online-security

You can upgrade the graphics card without any motherboard change but the power supply would need to be checked it has enough power for a better card.

If this is any help please use the thank you below   

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 01:56:57 PM »
      If the memory slots have truly failed, I don't think there really is much to "upgrade" with a new  motherboard, so you may as well replace it with the same model if possible, as that would at least ensure compatibility with what you have. It may be worth exploring whether Gigabyte offers any sort of manufacturer warranty  that is still in effect, as I'd expect the memory slots failing would fall under it.

Now is a rather awful time to get a new Graphics card, as manufacturing has not kept up with demand. Even used graphics cards fetch a  high sum- a GTX 970 for example goes for over $300 used. a 1070 goes on eBay used for nearly $200 more than I paid for mine new.

This makes it somewhat difficult to recommend any sort of upgrade. However it's possible the issues you've seen aren't related to your graphics card so it might be premature to explore a GPU upgrade, particularly in light of the excess prices of Graphics Cards. VintronNZ has an alternative explanation that might help.

otherwise, I'd suggest exploring your options within the 9 and 10 series of Nvidia Graphics Cards and AMD's R9 and possibly R8 cards and see how they compare to one another as well as what you have. If you google "Card A Vs Card B" you'll often get a result to UserBenchmark and GPUBoss websites which can give a reasonably good idea of how the two cards compare. It should also indicate aspects such as Power Draw which you will want to consider in cnoncert with your PSU's rated wattage.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Ghostwalker

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 07:13:08 PM »
        The RAM sticks are installed as they are cause the other two slots burned out. They used to be installed per the manual, but like i said they burned out and had no choice but to install them as i have them now.

I will try your advice on setting the avast to gaming mode, but i don't know how much that will work. I mean the 750ti i have is basically an entry level GPU and i figure that is the cause.

Sorry that i forgot to mention the power supply, thought that would be in the speccy. I have a CX600M from Corsair.
        Hi
        Thanks so much for the speccy report , This has meant I have been able to check so many things very quickly.

First off the memory dual channel problem. Your motherboard would need the 2 * 4gb memory modules installed in the grey sockets  as per page 16 of the manual, the manual is here.

https://images10.newegg.com/UploadFilesForNewegg/itemintelligence/g/mb_manual_ga_z97x_sli_e1401382886486.pdf

Also have you tried setting up Avast for gaming mode ? This is the most likely cause of the game FPS not being steady. check here as it explains better than I can.
        https://blog.avast.com/gamer-takes-on-avast-game-mode-does-it-really-work-online-security

You can upgrade the graphics card without any motherboard change but the power supply would need to be checked it has enough power for a better card.

If this is any help please use the thank you below   

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 02:27:11 PM »
          With the power supply you will be able to install any of the modern Nvidia cards. What BC_Programmer suggested about comparing cards is great advice.
          If you want a new motherboard then it would be new memory and cpu as well.
          Also there is the possibility Windows 7 may not re- activate on a computer with so many changes.
          I would also check the guarantee, as Gigabyte boards here have 3 year guarantee.

P.S this is a first for me to have 2 memory slots burnt out in normal use, still have the 2 memory controllers working and no damage to the memory itself.