Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Accessing old laptop Toshiba hard drive  (Read 1883 times)

H2020

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Accessing old laptop Toshiba hard drive
    « on: February 17, 2018, 01:36:14 PM »
    Hello

I have an old hard drive from a laptop that has stopped working. From what I understand I need a sata to usb cable to retrieve my data and use it as an external hard drive.

It is a Toshiba MK8034GSX and the pins are quite long and thin, while the sata end of the cable is way to short to fit, plus has a partition in the middle. Looks something like this ( _______| |___ )

What do I Need for my drive? Is it not a sata? Is my drive differnent/How? What should I be looking for? Any links to what I Need?

Unable to attach pics, but is a 'normal' sata to usb wire I have brought and hopefully you can search for what my drive looks like from model.

Thanks

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Accessing old laptop Toshiba hard drive
      « Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 05:10:47 PM »
      Yes the drive is a standard sata so should work with a usb to sata adapter. You will need ether a powered adapter or one with 2 usb plugs as the drive requires more power than a single usb 2.0 port can supply.

These are pretty good : Sabrent USB-DSC7

As it has a power supply there is no problem working with all sata drives and usb ports.

H2020

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
        Re: Accessing old laptop Toshiba hard drive (updated)
        « Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 09:03:37 AM »
        Thank you for the reply. I have been able to use the wire i already had, it says it can provide enough power without an external power supply (or the two usbs like you say).

It did fit fine, it was just i didn't realise there was an adapter attached to the hard drive which connects to the laptop which i had to first remove. Anyway i eventually discovered this. Now i have connected it to a computer and it does connect and show me the files.

My next hurdle is that it will not let me open any files  (it gives me a message that i don't currently have permission to access the folder and to click continue to permanently get access to the folder.) Upon clicking continue (it says you have been denied permission to access this folder, to gain access i will have to use the security tab). I have had a little play around but to no avail.

I have also tried to simply copy the folder to an external hard drive, (it says you need permission from the computers administrator to make changes to this folder).

Now im guessing this is all because the previous laptop from where im trying to access the toshiba hard drive had a password. Im hoping its not to much to get past this (although i dont 100% recall the password, i reckon a few attempts would work).
        So any help for a novice? What should i do to get past this and get my files? could someone walk me through where and what i need to do?

ps. i am using a public computer, could this only be doable from somewhere where i can become a admin?

Cheers