Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Question about SSD and boot up  (Read 3907 times)

KMac

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Re: Question about SSD and boot up
    « Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 06:33:44 PM »
    Another possibility could be the power supply, as it looks like you added the SSD and the other Hard drives are still installed- it could be the "straw that broke the camel's back" if it happens that the Power supply was quite near it's capacity. While I've not seen it involving SSDs, I have had instances where adding a third Hard Drive resulted in arbitrary boot failures as well as drives completely disappearing from the system while it was running (which resulted in a hard freeze if it was the boot drive, of course), and the problems all went away after the power supply was replaced.

Thanks for the information.. However, I only have the one SSD installed in the laptop. I may have not been clear when I posted I swapped the HDD (that came in the computer) out with the SSD I had in my other laptop. Once the system wouldn't boot up, I reinstalled the original HDD to see if the issue was with the computer or the SSD.

After installing the HDD, I had no issues what so ever. So, I formatted the Samsung EVO SSD and recloned the HDD to the SSD. It booted fine and performed well until I rebooted the system.

I scanned the SSD with 4 different "tools" and they all read good or 100%...

KMac

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 06:36:10 PM »
      That could suggest a problem with the cable, as Vintron noted. When the system boots the SSD and the Host Controller on the motherboard would negotiate a speed which involves some cursory testing of the capability of the Cable to determine speed. A poor cable, or one that is damaged could very easily fail to perform well enough for higher speeds to be negotiated- or could fail to work properly at all (thus not seeing the drive to boot from)).

I think I may just let Samsung deal with it.. Both the computer and the hard drive are under warranty.. Maybe I'll chat with them and see what they say. I am afraid that they may try to void my warranty for swapping the hard drives, although they said it would be fine to do so.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 07:17:58 PM »
      You said:
      One thing I have noticed, which probably means nothing, but the Interface is showing SATA 6.0Gb/s.. At other times it will read SATA 3.0Gb/s..
      This would indicate poor stability duet to high error rates. When the error rate gets high, the speed drops to compensate.
      Here is an article that might be of interest:
      http://www.zdnet.com/article/ssd-reliability-in-the-real-world-googles-experience/
      Good news: Raw Bit Error Rate (RBER) increases slower than expected from wearout and is not correlated with UBER or other failures.
      High-end SLC drives are no more reliable that MLC drives.
      Bad news: SSDs fail at a lower rate than disks, but UBER rate is higher (see below for what this means).
      SSD age, not usage, affects reliability.
      Bad blocks in new SSDs are common, and drives with a large number of bad blocks are much more likely to lose hundreds of other blocks, most likely due to die or chip failure.
      30-80 percent of SSDs develop at least one bad block and 2-7 percent develop at least one bad chip in the first four years of deployment.
      The above would suggest  any SSD will weaken with age.

KMac

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 07:31:39 PM »
        You said:This would indicate poor stability duet to high error rates. When the error rate gets high, the speed drops to compensate.
        Here is an article that might be of interest:
        http://www.zdnet.com/article/ssd-reliability-in-the-real-world-googles-experience/The above would suggest  any SSD will weaken with age.

I am starting to think it may be a cable issue. The reason why I am thinking this: 1) It was suggested by others here.. 2) When I went into the bios a few minutes ago, where it listed SATA 1 port- it said nothing connected or nothing plugged in.. I just went through the bios configuration while on chat with Samsung support and when I entered the bios that time, it said Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD...

As far as I know, the ribbon cable or the terminals on the SSD could be an issue..

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 07:51:25 PM »
        You said:This would indicate poor stability duet to high error rates. When the error rate gets high, the speed drops to compensate.

The SATA speed is negotiated between the Host Controller on the motherboard, and the Drive Controller; it doesn't involve the Drive storage in any way. It's also usually only done once, during boot-up when the drive is first enumerated.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

KMac

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 04:53:03 PM »
          Contacted Samsung and they wanted me to do everything I have already done. So, I contacted the support for Samsung Ssd's and went through the questions again. In the end, they said for me to send it back.

One interesting note: I spoke to the director of our IT department and he told me that he has 3 of the exact SSD's on his desk that they have swapped out due to the same issue. He said it is definitely the SSD.