Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need advice for PC upgrade  (Read 1905 times)

pannolas

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Need advice for PC upgrade
    « on: February 17, 2018, 07:08:55 PM »
    Hello, i have this old PC and it's getting more difficult to play videogames with it. I just want to play with decent graphics, so i'm thinking on upgrading my system with new GPU and RAM (and SSD?) but i have no knowledge about new cards. Could you suggest me ? Or do you think it's not worth upgrading my system?

Here is the speccy link:   

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Dvov3CFx8U8YoBi021bQaiG

Accept any advise, thanks!

Coco423

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Need advice for PC upgrade
    « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 10:39:19 AM »
    Have you tried upgrading the amount of RAM in your computer? You only have 4 GB RAM in your system. 6 - 8 GB RAM is reccomended for most games. So, 4 GB RAM is notthe best for video games.

Coco423

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 10:48:18 AM »
    For the GPU upgrade - maybe a GTX 960 or at least a GTX 750ti if there are drivers avalible for your hardware and computer?

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
      • Certifications: List
      « Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 12:40:10 PM »
      Hi

You can do all 3 upgrades and get a reasonable machine.

First to buy and something most users can install is a Graphics Card the GTX 750ti which Coco423 suggested is a good start and will fit in your system. Keep the white or blue vga and other video covers from the card and use these with a little glue to cover the motherboard connectors. This stops mistakenly plugging the monitor into the wrong socket.

Next is an SSD I suggest a Samsung EVO 960 there is only 89gb of the current 1TB drive used so a 250GB should be enough. Look for a local computer company who can copy your old drive to the SSD,  set up your old drive as extra storage and maybe to store backups of the SSD. This is bread and butter work and some will do it for little more than the cost of the SSD.

Then the memory 2 * 2 gb DDR3 memory . The speccy report doesn't show make or model of the memory which  is installed so you will need to match some new memory. Perhaps when they are fitting the SSD, ask the tech to do the memory or at least advise what memory to get.

pannolas

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 08:54:23 PM »
        Thanks for the replies, that was very useful.

I think main upgrades are RAM, GPU and PSU at the moment, so i'm leaving the SSD behind for now.

Here is what i found on amazon

GPU: GTX 750ti 2GB Palit Edition (300W usage)

RAM: 2 x 4 GB HyperX Fury 1866Mhz

PSU: Corsair VS550 550W

All of them for 250 euros. What do you think? Is this a good upgrade? I think all pieces should be compatible with my setup.