Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my shuttle XPC is quirky, uncooperative, and Oh yeah, OLD!! lil help here  (Read 1906 times)

clnsflknr

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    I've got one down and I don't know how long it'll be down. There's important data on the Kingston predator pciex4 ssd. Trouble is, my shuttle xpc says : ss what!? oh you plugged something into my pciex16 slot?? it must be a video card so I'll automatically give board video up to you, mr gpu.  except that's not gpu, that's ssd and my shuttle say's I've never heard of such witchcraft! I'll never allow this on my pheonix award bios v6.0.   My shuttle mobo has pciex16, and pci (32 bit) but when designed, pciex16 was a gpu slot and ssd's weren't popular yet. so bios isn't as configurable as one might think I don't want to mess around and hickup my last and only pc. When I plugged the pciex4 ssd into the pciex16 slot and powered up, I lost DVI, but I think the pc booted cause I heard new hardware sound. Can someone tell me how to set the bios so I can get the data from that ssd onto a thumb drive using the shuttle as a file explorer. Shuttle has vga and dvi mobo vid out and a core 2dou cpu that has integrated graphics. I'll bet there's some geeks at the senior citizen's hall that could spit out this fix as fast as they could spit out their grill  but seriously. it's so old, shuttle can't even remember if they made that model let alone support it in any way. so experience in this area would be great. It's running windows 10 from an 8.1 build and has no optical drive it boots from a 500G hdd.

Salmon Trout

Re: my shuttle XPC is quirky, uncooperative, and Oh yeah, OLD!! lil help here
    « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 11:40:36 AM »
    Why didn't you tell us what model Shuttle it is? I have owned 2, an ST62K and an SN78SH7.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 11:43:47 AM »
    That would kinda speed up the process indeed...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 01:10:14 PM »
    Probably, given the age of the motherboard, you will need some kind of adapter. About $40.

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 02:35:59 PM »
      Yep you are right clnsflknr your shuttle doesn't support your Kingston predator pciex4 ssd.
      You need a much newer system. At least the pcie in the shuttle wouldn't have damaged the drive.
      If you need the data off the drive then look for a system from the last 4 years or if you are just wanting to get the speed of the drive wait until you upgrade to a motherboard which supports pciex4 drives. 

clnsflknr

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 12:41:09 AM »
        yes, you are correct sir. You've heard of the phrase, "you can't get there from here."  That's where I'm at, and even if I did manage to patch it through to a sata port on the mobo, It would probably want to format it before it let any electrons go inside. I know I would if I were a computer, ha! I'm a joker, I know.  I'm abandoning this endeavor, as my lian li who runs on that hyperx drive has been diagnosed with service poisoning of the PSU luckily the power surge didn't get the mobo. I'm gonna consider myself lucky and get a UPS. But I wonder....why would you want a psu lcd readout tester that gives you a thumbs up on a psu that's bad(that's what happened with the other pc and I didn't have a spare psu at the time, only my tester that was reading good but without a load) That was a 2009 SG31V2 w/FG31 LGA775 mobo, btw. thanks for lookin into it. Sorry for delayed response fellas.