Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Files Not Showing  (Read 1815 times)

sloan448

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Files Not Showing
    « on: February 19, 2018, 05:32:41 PM »
    I am switching from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have 7 on one hard drive and 10 on another. I am using a third hard drive to transfer files from 7 to 10. Both of the first two hard drives recognize the third hard drive. The problem is that the files I have transfered from 7 aren't showing up in 10. The files I have put on the third drive from 10 show up in 7 though. I don't have the first two drives hooked up to the computer at the same time, I shut the computer off and switch the wires from one drive to the other.
    So why am I not seeing the files in 10?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Files Not Showing
    « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 08:53:28 AM »
    If drives are connected via USB, then it could be that Windows 10 doesn't have the proper driver for the USB to SATA Hard drive Controller that does the communications bridging between the external hard drives SATA communications over USB connectivity. What is make/model of the drive and enclosure that is not connecting to Windows 10?

Windows 7 has a driver support that 10 doesn't have I am guessing ( or ) 10 is trying to use the wrong driver against this drive as an external and that's why in which you might have to specify the driver for this drive to connect with.

If the enclosure is one that is unknown or no driver support for it, a easy solution may be just to buy a new external enclosure that states its windows 10 supported and move the drive to the new enclosure. Then have access to your data on that drive on 7 and 10.

sloan448

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 11:21:11 AM »
      All the drives are connected by a data cable.

I bought a 32 gigabyte flash drive to experiment with, the 8 gig I already have didn't have a problem on either 7 or 10. I put some of my files, some of the same ones I put on the backup drive but can't see, and then I tried to put them on the backup drive while in 10 and it says they are already on the drive. For some reason I can't see or access them in 10.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 01:02:03 PM »
      Did you try taking ownership of the folders...that is if they show ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "