Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A/C Adapter problems on airplane  (Read 1839 times)

bonnieking3

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    A/C Adapter problems on airplane
    « on: February 23, 2018, 06:42:29 PM »
    Hi,
    I have a Dell Latitude and always have problems getting the A/C adapter to work when plugged in on an airplane.  This happens regardless of airplane model and with either the Dell adapter that came with the laptop or the generic one I routinely use for travel.  I always fly business class internationally or first class domestically (in case that's relevant), but which is to say I have "my own" adapter at the seat.  (Airlines are Delta, KLM and Air France.)  What happens is I plug in the adapter, the small led light on it lights up and then after 1-2 seconds, fades away.  The icon on computer itself shows it's charging when the light is on, but goes to battery only when the light goes off.  I have to delicately wiggle the plug in various directions, sometimes leave it not completely plugged in, in order to keep the adapter lit.  It can literally take 45 minutes of plugging, unplugging moving it a millimeter to the right, to the left, up, down.  When I finally FINALLY get it to stay lit, I have to hold my breath so it won't fade out again.  I have tried plugging the adapter plug into another adapter first, e.g. three prong adapter or foreign two pin adapter, then into the outlet, but it doesn't make a difference.  It still takes at least a half an hour to find the exact spot for the plug to rest in the outlet for the adapter to work.  More often than not I am on a long flight, e.g. 12 hours Paris to Cape Town, and the battery simply won't hold out that long.  Finally, I have zero problems with either original or backup adapter, regardless of whether I'm in the U.S. or overseas, so the voltage when plugged into a wall doesn't appear to make any difference.

I realize there are bigger problems in the world but this is so frustrating as I travel a lot.  Any input or ideas for resolving would be very welcome!
    Thanks you,
    Bonnie

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: A/C Adapter problems on airplane
      « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 09:53:15 PM »
      There should be no problem running the Laptop power supply on a plane especially if you plug it in before the battery is flat. If it is flat you may need to remove the battery before starting the laptop and when it has booted, re install the battery. This is because the seat power is limited and may not be sufficient to run the laptop and charge the battery. This isn't the case with your laptop it seems it is a connection problem with the seat socket. Most likely your power supply has a 2 pin mains plug without the earth pin. If so, to get a good connection with the socket  you will need a cable like this one.

https://www.newegg.com/AC-Power-Cords-for-Laptop/SubCategory/ID-2811

This cable is easily switched with the present cable as it unplugs from the power supply.
      I know the socket on the plane is very universal but best to have as many pins holding the plug secure as possible. 

bonnieking3

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
        Re: A/C Adapter problems on airplane
        « Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 06:35:30 AM »
        Thanks so much for the input.  I always get on the plane with the laptop fully charged, because I've had trips where I have never been able to get it to work and then just get as much done as I can until the battery goes.

I've got long trips coming up and will get this today and let you know if it solves the problem.

Thank you again!