Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to configure a router for intranet Ubtuntu Server?  (Read 4118 times)

petehope

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    How to configure a router for intranet Ubtuntu Server?
    « on: August 25, 2018, 08:40:02 AM »
    I have Ubuntu Server up and running on my laptop. It is intended as a web server and I have a Static IP for it. All I want to do is attach a portable router to the laptop and when I run the webserver I can have other tablets connect via browser to the server via the static IP and through the portable router.

However I am stuck. Don't know how to configure the router so that the tablets can connect to the webserver.

Do I need to make a static IP in the router to connect to the static IP of the webserver? I just don't know.

The router I have is: https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR802N.html

And it will not connect to the internet and will run like a intranet. The webserver will be run as soon as I start up Ubuntu.

If you can help I appreciate it. Thanks.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How to configure a router for intranet Ubtuntu Server?
    « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 09:03:42 AM »
    Seems like routing might be getting in the way. Can you set it to bridge mode? Make sure the gateway in the dhcp range and in the server isn't getting in the way. Seems like you might want the server to be in the same subnet.

For a quick and easy setup, set it in bridge mode and put everything on the same subnet.

If I were doing it for like a portable game server (not sure what your use case is), I would set my static ip address on the server to something like 192.168.0.2/24 with a gateway of 192.168.0.1. Then set the "external interface" on the router (interface for the web server) to 192.168.0.1/24.
    Then set the dhcp range to 192.168.1.10-20/24 with a gateway of 192.168.1.1. Set the "internal interface" (wifi) on the router to 192.168.1.1/24.
    Normally, something like this setup would not allow anything from the web server to initiate traffic to the clients. Only the clients could initiate. If you want the server to be able to initiate traffic, there should be a firewall setting in the router to open it up.

Just thought of another possible cause..... check your internal firewalls. Make sure you're allowing inbound communication.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How to configure a router for intranet Ubtuntu Server?
    « Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 09:59:12 AM »
    It is not clear what you want to do.
    An Internet Server means a server that can serve very wise area.
    A local area server is called an Intranet Server.

Is the purpose file sharing?
    Is it to play a multi-user game?

Here are two videos that might help you:
    (Skip the advertisements.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJjEzek2e6I
    Watch two videos there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDwoDj2cW6c
    Just the first video.
    Please let me know is that was any help.  :)