Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need SATA XP driver for Gateway SX 2110G  (Read 6562 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Need SATA XP driver for Gateway SX 2110G
« on: March 02, 2018, 11:26:47 AM »
This is a request for help with finding a suitable set of drivers for an old Gateway and SX  2110 G desktop computer. I received this computer from a friend and it has Windows 10 64-bit installed and running well.
However, because of my age and some other problems, the computers more useful to me if it will run windows XP once in a while. I have a legal retail copy of windows XP home edition with the product key. So there is no question about the legality of what I am doing.
From a quick search, it appears that Gateway did not make XP drivers for this particular machine. At least that's what appears to be.
So here is my problem. The firmware on this machine does not appear to have a legacy mode that accommodates Windows XP. Therefore, I must have available a suitable driver to allow the windows XP installation program to read and write the hard drive. I have already tried to install Windows XP from two different sources I have and both times it fails. The error code is not provide explicit information about what happened, but I'm quite sure it's because Windows XP cannot correctly read and write from a SATA  drive. So the proper thing to do is to introduce a suitable 32-bit driver during the installation process. This is something I have never done, so I am asking the experts here to give me a hint about how I go about doing this.
This is not urgent. This is just something I would like to do if it is within reason and can be done with limited resources. One possibility would be to my an XP recovery disk from Gateway, but I don't even know if that's possible.
Any help you might give would be appreciated.
Again, the computer is a gateway SX 2110G and I wish to install a retail version of Windows XP home edition.
Thank you for your time and attention.  :) 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Need SATA XP driver for Gateway SX 2110G
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 02:00:07 PM »
Since the drivers aren't available from the manufacturer you would need to determine specifically what the devices are  (EG the actual specific SATA controller chip) and then  hope to find drivers for that specific controller chip.

However- even if you do find them, the only way to know they will work is to use them. Normally, you install storage drivers during setup by using F6 with an appropriately configured Floppy diskette. I'm sure then, that you see the problem- that computer doesn't have one, nor a way to plug one in. So  the only way to load it up during install is to prepare a slipstreamed Windows XP install disc. That is described here (You would need different drivers from those listed, I Expect)
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Need SATA XP driver for Gateway SX 2110G
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 02:56:54 PM »
Thanks.
Up to now  I have never tried a slipstream. This will be my first.
The motherboard is a AMD type and I will search for the drivers. That motherboard  and chip set might have been used on another model.