Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't POST with new graphics card  (Read 2475 times)

sliptie

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Computer won't POST with new graphics card
    « on: February 22, 2018, 09:07:19 AM »
    I wanted to upgrade the graphics on my old rig for the kids to enjoy. When I press the power button, my led lights come on and the case, cpu, and gpu fans all spin. After about 5 seconds or so the gpu fans quit, with led lights and other fans continuing to operate normally. The monitor remains black and I receive no POST sound. I tested the card in a different rig and it worked fine. When I reinstall my old gpu, the old rig both POST and boots normally.

New graphics card:
    GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 DirectX 12 GV-N1050OC-2GD 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card

Old rig and graphics:
    Mobo: GA-78lmt-2sp Rev: 4.0 (upgraded to BIOS FDc 12/13/2012)
    CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.3GHz
    RAM: 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
    GPU: HD 6770 850M 16B DDR5
    Hard-drive: Samsung HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache
    PSU: Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.2 80 PLUS

What is my next step please?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer won't POST with new graphics card
    « Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 11:59:11 AM »
    If you have another power supply, i'd try another power supply to verify that your power supply isnt the cause. A power supply can be weak to act exactly like this. Also verify that the 12v molex connections are made to video card if it has the 12V (6 or 8 pin) connections. If your using an adapter to add these you could run into problems as well. Seen some people get a P-connection to Molex kit and they are iffy whether they work or not to supply enough amps to the video card on the 12V rail.

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 03:25:01 PM »
      Hi

If you check here you will find your motherboard is not listed as compatible with the 1050 card.

http://www.pc-specs.com/gpu/Nvidia/1000_Series/GeForce_GTX_1050_FTW_DT_Gaming_ACX_3.0_2GB/3792/Compatible_Motherboards

So this maybe the cause of the no display.

As the card doesn't need secondary power from the PCIE power connectors and is a lower power requirement than the  HD 6770 850M it is unlikely the power supply. The 1050 card using 30 watts less than the old card.

sliptie

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 05:01:12 PM »
        I've tried a different PSU, well able to handle my old rig, with the same results. The 1050 doesn't require power outside of the PCIe slot.

-The board is listed as being 1050 compatible. Gigabyte board listed about 40 down.

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
          « Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 05:37:59 PM »
          Thanks for pointing me to where your motherboard is listed.

Just for a test , try starting the computer with the monitor plugged into the graphics card and then swapping the video lead to the motherboard does it display anything.

If it does you are either using an HDMI cable ? or the 1050 isn't telling the motherboard it is there and setting the display to on board. If this is the case then you may need to set the display type in the Bios to PCIE.

If you are using HDMI then you should have said or known better as most likely you would not get a display until the drivers were loaded in windows. And as you had an AMD card before the AMD drivers could conflict and cause windows to crash. You would be better to start the computer with the on board or AMD card, remove the AMD video drivers, set windows  back to standard VGA then install the 1050 using DVI .

sliptie

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 06:40:22 PM »
            I replace my board with a GA-78lmt-USB3 R2 and everything works. I don't know if it's relevant, but my old board had only a 4 pin power connections. Either that wasn't enough for a PCIe powered graphics card, or the old board was just bad.

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
              « Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 01:23:48 AM »
              Thank you for letting us know what fixed the problem.  :)