Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 7 to 10 upgrade ???  (Read 2618 times)

Rich73Kelly

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Familiar
    Win 7 to 10 upgrade ???
    « on: February 27, 2018, 12:33:54 AM »
    I have opportunity to purchase a computer that has been upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. This computer is a Dell Optiplex 390, with an Intel Core i5 Quadcore and has a fresh install of Windows 10 Professional. The guy that has it buys them by the pallet from the local Universities when THEY do upgrades, wipes them clean and does a fresh install. I got the computer I am using now from him and am quite happy with it. I had been using XP for over ten years so, updating was a big step for me ... Lol.
    Anyway, my question here is this, will this be a bad idea, as generally speaking, putting a newer OS on a computer designed for an older OS will bog it down and cause it to be slow and lag a lot. I am asking here because, I am confident, the well seasoned members will have the right answers.
      I've been shopping for another  computer for a couple of weeks now and have considered having one custom built so, in my ventures, visited a few local shops that do custom builds AND repairs. While doing these visits, I kinda pick at the techs brains ... They've all upgraded Win 7 or 8 systems to 10. I asked THEM the same thing I asked here. Their answers were all about the same and that was that Win 10 doesn't need or use near the resources that 7 or 8 does and should perform quite well.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Win 7 to 10 upgrade ???
    « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 12:57:49 AM »
    putting a newer OS on a computer designed for an older OS will bog it down and cause it to be slow and lag a lot.

This has not been the case for Windows for about a decade- Windows Vista is the last version of Windows that realistically had higher system requirements than it's predecessor- With the possible exception of driver support, you'd be hard pressed to find a system that runs Vista, 7, or 8/8.1 better than Windows 10; this is contrary to previous releases- Windows XP was usually leaner than Windows Vista, Windows ME was leaner than Windows XP, Windows 98SE was leaner than Windows ME, and so on.

Worth noting that "Intel Core i5 Quadcore" isn't quite as clear as you might think- on it's own it could mean a CPU released ion the last few months, or one that is nearly 10 years old. Thankfully the dell model number means it would be one of the first Core i Series released, in 2006 or thereabouts.

Even so, It should be plenty capable of running Windows 10. I have several systems which are significantly less capable that run it well. A Intel Core 2 Quad QX6700 based system with 8GB of RAM runs it very well, and even the most basic i5 chip is at least twice the performance capability. I also have a AMD Athlon 5350 based system which would have trouble competing with the QX6700 system, so wouldn't even compete with the i5- and it runs Windows 10 perfectly well too.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Rich73Kelly

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 09:34:53 AM »
      Thanks for your prompt response! I was kinda hoping this was the case. The guy is an IT Consultant and has been doing this for several years but, honestly, now a days, some people will do anything to make a buck! He has an array of these Dell's available. Some with i3's, some with i5's and some with i7's ... I am looking at getting one with the i5 because I've heard nothing but good about them versus the other two. With a new 2 TB HD and 8 GB of RAM,  I didn't think $200 is a bad price!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 10:44:47 AM »
      That model might be Intel Core i5 2nd Gen.
      At $200 you would want some kind of warranty.
      J have Windows 10 on an old Dell 755 with a dual core. It  is  mediocre, but even in XP is is that way. It is good enough for me. The i% should do a lot better.

I agree with BC. There is no real visible  performance handicap running windows 10. This old Dell Optiplex has just 4 GB and an using 32 bit OS on a 64 bit CPU.

BTW: You can dual boot XP and Windows 10 if XP is installed first.  :)

Rich73Kelly

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 01:08:42 PM »
        He is offering a 30 day warranty ...

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 03:17:57 PM »
        He is offering a 30 day warranty ...

They don't sound very confident...

Just sayin.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 03:27:51 PM »
        One can search for 'Dell Optiplex 390 refurbished' and find authorized dealers with sell them with warranty options.  :)

However, these do not come with keyboard, mouse or monitor. And no user manual.

On eBay some reputable dealers are selling that machine for about US $150  and you can buy a 1 year protection  for about  $17.00

They are authorized by Microsoft to install Windows 10 as an OEM version. That means that you can not move the Windows 10 to another PC, unless you convince MS support that you deserve it.  :-\

Yes, it is an older Dell, but it was once a very popular business computer.
        IMO I think he should offer more than just 30 days. Ask for 90 days.