Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How hot is ddr4 allowed to get?  (Read 10710 times)

noob3

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    How hot is ddr4 allowed to get?
    « on: February 23, 2018, 04:07:34 AM »
    I was wondering how hot is ddr4 allowed to get? when i game my corsair dominator 3000mhz ram goes up to 60°C

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How hot is ddr4 allowed to get?
    « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 05:28:24 AM »
    60C is warm but should be OK, however cooler is better. For your RAM Corsair actually makes a fan assembly that can mount above the RAM and remove heat. Check out link here. I looked to see if it could be purchased after the fact. Looks like its part of a memory kit, but if you contact Corsair you might be able to buy one separate. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820236062&cm_re=ram_fan-_-20-236-062-_-Product

If you already have this cooling fan and its still running hot then I would check internal airflow of case, maybe you have a hot pocket of air in the case that just sits there. * Also seen cases get hot inside when people add cooling fans to case and the airflow direction of muffin fans are pointing in or pointing out vs front side of case in and backside out.

Shandy

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 10:44:39 AM »
      I have the RAM and fan mentioned in Dave's post but I don't use the fan because it's clunky and doesn't really fit well given the layout of my mobo, so it's probably worth checking that before making a purchase.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 02:56:07 PM »
      $250 Bucks for 16G of RAM and a carp cooler that is clunky...sounds like a good deal to me...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Shandy

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 01:50:39 PM »
        Gotta be the worst time in history to buy RAM.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 04:32:15 PM »
        Close...but no cigar...

Look up the History of RAM pricing thru the years.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 04:47:38 PM »
        If you look at it in Price per MB, it's still quite good, particularly compared to historically. I have a 256MB SDRAM stick that still has a 625 dollar price tag from who knows when.

a 128MB SDRAM stick would cost around $121 in 1997, which is about $186.87 today. That's about $1.48 cents per megabyte.

Comparatively, $118.99 can get you 8GB of DDR4, which is something like 1 and a half cents per megabyte.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 05:27:58 PM »
        References.  "History of RAM pricing thru the years."

Memory Prices 1957 to 2017

Why RAM Prices Are Through the Roof

The slow increase in RAM prices hasn’t earned the same attention as the headline-grabbing sticker shock of modern GPU prices, but it’s another factor working directly against PC builders and the DIY market.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 05:51:41 AM »
        Back to original issue of hot RAM, depending on what you have for space inside and how much it would bother you to have a muffin fan mounted inside. I have zip tied muffin fans to the hard drive cage before 90 degrees out from relation to hard drive(s) and added airflow to a warm/hot air pocket inside my case before.

This may look worse than the original clunky cooler or it might work better if you dont mind a extra muffin fan with zip ties in the case and wire management that keeps wires out of the fan blades.

I have put together some interesting cooling mods before to keep components cool. Even took a slot fan which normally would be placed along side a video card for extra airflow and took a home depot mailing which was a 5 x 8 index card material and cut and shaped and taped that to the exhaust side of this slot fan making a 90 degree bent air ram to allow the slot fan to lay on the bottom of the case and blow air upwards from bottom of the case across the surface of the motherboard towards the fan at the power supply at the top of the computer to better assist in internal airflow to keep everything cool where my Bridge controller was running hotter than I wanted and I was able to drop it from 70-80C range down to 60-70C range of thermal operation.

Couldnt find a picture of that, but these others show some cooling mods. Mufffin fan zip tied near cards, one held onto a video card with rubber bands where the GPU fan failed and a Pentium D heatsink added to a Core i5 laptop that was running over 85C and I got it passively cooled to 48C with a massive block of aluminum where the heatpipe based laptops CPU/GPU has failed leaking out and drying up causing thermal shutdowns until this was added with some thermal compound when messing around to see if I could passively cool it. The spikes on the display are thermal spikes when removing heatsink the temp climbs instantly and when placing it back down to draw away heat it levels out. :)

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        « Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 02:11:44 PM »
        Unless you are overclocking the RAM or running it in a case with dreadful airflow, you'll be fine.  I have never seen a situation where RAM has overheated without the user running it outside of the manufacturer's specifications. 60c is a perfectly safe temperature for RAM.

I run the exact same RAM as you without any sort of additional cooler and have had absolutely no problems.