Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU Core Help  (Read 1936 times)

mouseluxi

Topic Starter

• Experience: Expert
    CPU Core Help
    « on: February 28, 2018, 01:36:38 AM »
    So, I actually just had a general question. I have a custom computer, so I don't exactly have a brand booting. This game I play has horrible optimization, and the main features are all used on a single core, instead of spreading out. My BIOS allows me to disable/enable certain cores (I have it set as auto). At the moment I have an FX 6350, which has 6 cores with 3.98 GHz. Let's say I disabled all but one core. Would all 3.98GHz go onto one core, or would the one core only have a certain amount of power? Is it possible for it to overheat or become unstable using only one core? Will it be as efficient?

Thanks for anyone that can answer these questions as soon as possible.
    :)
    -Eluxi
    Hello, my name is Luxi, nice to meet Everyone

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: CPU Core Help
    « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 05:36:41 AM »
    All cores get the same clock so if all but 1 are disabled then that one core is at 3.98GHz.

No it will not overheat the CPU as long as you have a good heatsink thats able to draw heat away properly.

What game title are you having issues with optimization that only wants to run as a single-core game?

I have had some issues with games built back before multicore processors to which if you start the game and then go into core affinity and tag the games exe to run only on a single core but all other cores are running everything else, the game issues have cleaned up for me. One such game is UT99 ( Unreal Tournament 99 ) which was made back before multicore CPU's. Setting core affinity to core 0 the games lag and other choppy frame rate is corrected as there seems to be an odd hand off issue with the single-thread execution getting bounced around between cores and it creates a strange lag and excessive frame rate drop.

The problem you will have with disabling all but one core would be that now the system would have to run the OS and any other multitask applications along side a game and so you might only get 50% of the processing power of the lonely core for the game with the other 50% used to run the OS and any background things going on or multitasking that you do such as browser open or music playing etc. Setting Core Affinity is the way to go with this for now until we get more information to go by.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: CPU Core Help
    « Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 02:48:03 PM »
    You won't get a performance benefit just by disabling cores.  You have 6 cores, each of those run at 3.98GHz, if you disable a core, the remaining cores will continue to run at 3.98GHz.  The only time I can see people disabling cores would be if they are overclocking as disabling cores *may* give them more power or thermal headroom to overclock although it's not commonly done in regular use.  You'd be best just to leave all cores enabled.