Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 Update KB4074588 Fails  (Read 3484 times)

xkexk8

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Windows 10 Update KB4074588 Fails
    « on: February 28, 2018, 11:20:50 AM »
    My computer update history shows this update installed successfully on 2/13/18.  However, it also shows that the same update requires a restart to finish.  Every night the computer restarts, attempts to install the update, fails and then removes the update (see attached). 

MB: ASRock X370 Tachi
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
    Memory: G.Skill TridfentZ
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW Gaming
    Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
      Re: Windows 10 Update KB4074588 Fails
      « Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 06:12:15 PM »
      You can manually remove the failed updates and run Windows Update again. PITA, but this has worked for me.

You can also try the Windows Update Troubleshooter, which I've had mixed results with, depending on the situation: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter
      Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go

xkexk8

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 08:20:15 PM »
        I've gone ahead and uninstalled the update and blocked the update from installing in the future.  I'm going to wait for the next update and see how it performs.  Thanks.

artbuc

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 02:48:36 AM »
          I've gone ahead and uninstalled the update and blocked the update from installing in the future.  I'm going to wait for the next update and see how it performs.  Thanks.

Having same problem. How did you block future attempts to install?

xkexk8

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 07:07:33 AM »
            Having same problem. How did you block future attempts to install?

To uninstall an update:

Settings
            Update & Security
            View Update history
            Uninstall update

Then to block that update:

Download "wushowhide.diagcab" from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3183922/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windo"
            Run the program

I've had to block subsequent updates that fail.  I think I'm going to have to pay someone to fix things - bummer.

artbuc

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 02:57:21 AM »
              Ran MS troubleshooter which identified and corrected several problems. Restarted but problem updates still did not install. Ran troubleshooter again. It took much longer, identified and corrected more problems but said there were configuration errors which could not be fixed. Did a restart anyway and got same result - problem updates did not install. Later in the day I had a message from MS saying updates were available to install. Did a restart and it took a long time (30-45 minutes with several restarts) to install updates. Turns out it was the big 1803 installation.everything installed successfully including Adobe flash. Looks like whatever problem(s) I had preventing updates were corrected with 1803.

xkexk8

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 09:51:04 AM »
                Ran MS troubleshooter which identified and corrected several problems. Restarted but problem updates still did not install. Ran troubleshooter again. It took much longer, identified and corrected more problems but said there were configuration errors which could not be fixed. Did a restart anyway and got same result - problem updates did not install. Later in the day I had a message from MS saying updates were available to install. Did a restart and it took a long time (30-45 minutes with several restarts) to install updates. Turns out it was the big 1803 installation.everything installed successfully including Adobe flash. Looks like whatever problem(s) I had preventing updates were corrected with 1803.

Wowsers!  I was able to install 1803 with no issues.  Life is good again.  Not sure why I never had it pushed to me, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction. 

Tomdeep

• Experience: Beginner
                  « Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 04:59:03 AM »
                  Update KB4074588 this system update fails its creating lot of problem. but I am not aware of whats happening, but some changes make my laptop slow.