Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Does NOT work on Windows 10  (Read 49208 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Does NOT work on Windows 10
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 07:58:24 PM »
Dragon works for me in Windos XP. The fersion I now have is version 11.

A long time ago Dragon Naturally Speaking was made to work with Word Perfect, which it did very well. The was my introduction to it.

In my case it is needed because of my oor vision makes typing very hard. I can not see what I type, so I have my face on the keybaord.

But with Drago, I can dictate about 100 wrods per minuete and it gets it right most of the time.

Yes, Drago is slow, and anything the takes more resorces makes thigsn even worse. So I will use Dragon Pad, a bare bones word processor taht has almost no features other tahtn font, and size and simple things like bold and italic. No spekk checkingm what ever you say goes on the page.

Please come back and update the thread if you f ind the Dns is working for you as good as it should.

This thread is one of the few taht tells it like it is. Nuance keeps advertising th ier product as good on Windows 10 when it fact they have been slow to fix the problem. So it you do find taht it is now working better, [plaes come here and tell others.

Lack of clear proof taht Nuance has control of the issue is not good news for users.

Myself, if a program runs better on Windosws 10, then I will use it on Windows 10. But if not, I go back to Windos XP or QWineos 7.

I did not do this on Dagon this time. I had to type it. Dragon takes some much time to load taht I just did nto want to wait for it.

So yu will find lots of spellingerrors::)

Really, it would be great if Nuance makes Dragon work as users want on Windows 10. It is much, much better taht cortana for dictation. Cortana is more about AI and less about speech regonition. Dfagon is very good are recognizile a wide range of accents and volaculaires.  Hopefully hey will improve the product.

If you search the web you will find taht there is little good news from Nuance. Maybe taht will change son.

The link beflow is, I believe, credible and a faitr critisizim of the Naum product. It has just been updated and so far there is to retort from Nuance.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/nuance.html
This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands.

A real user:
Original review: Nov. 7, 2017
Just upgraded to Dragon Professional Personal 15. I am running latest upgrade of Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 3. I did a fair amount of dictation, mainly into Word, Outlook, and played a bit with machine control and tried using "intelligent" commands. DNS accuracy is the best of any of their versions I have used (I have been using it since v2). Phenomenal. Unbelievable. And easy!. That's the good news. It does what it says it does better than any other product.

Notice he is using a high performace machine. Other equipment does not do so well. But good to know that thee are some happly users out there.

My recomendation  is that you have at hand a Windows 7 PC to try out the Drangon Naturally Speaking product. On Windos 10 it sucks on my old Dell 755.
 :-\

Araf nawr

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 06:42:58 AM »
    Longtime Dragon user and now use Professional on annual subsciption.  I can vouch firsthand that the latest/greatest Dragon sucks on Win 10, so much so that I reverted back to Windows 8.1 Pro to avoid its death knell.  The problem for me is I write reports daily and while Dragon works great in the body of the report, it is less than a snail's pace when dictating into photo caption boxes.  I mean like a minute or two transcribing a six work sentence.  I'm not savvy enough to know how or why this happens but based on the web and this forum alone, doesn't seem promising without significant software changes. 

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 10:57:55 AM »
    Fortunately Windows 10 pro users can revert back to Windows 8.1 and resolve some issues. This is documented here and elsewhere.
    Thank you for your post. We can hope Microsoft or Nuance with  fix  their respective products so they can work together in the future. To date, there is no goodnews about this issue.

This thread was started « on: July 26, 2016, 02:03:31 AM »
    In about  six months i twill be two years.

Here is an article  about why  some prefer Windows 8.1 and it was published last month.
    https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/operating-systems-software/windows-8-vs-windows-10-3595035/
    What is of interest  are the user comments. Like this one:
    WIN 10 is the WORST OS due to the fact some of the games can not be displayed correctly, another thing is this OS gives us a very confusing start menu , last bust not least it often makes PC frozen for no reason , so i believe there MUST BE SOMETHING WRONG with WIN 10 and no wonder MICROSOFT intends to give this OS free of charge to us so i think we should just choose the previous OS like win 8, 7 or even XP because they are more friendly and easy to use.
    Notice this unhappy user says "often makes PC frozen for no reason". He is not alone,other users have made similar remarks about performance and stability.
    Another:
    I'm thinking of reverting all my computers back to 8.1. I've been using 10 since day one and it has been so invasive and such a terrible design, that I'm losing my patience with it. The biggest problem is not having any control over updates. All the 'comparisons' made in this article are differences I don't want, need or wish for.
    My two Windows 10 PCs both had major updates this past week. Maybe I will try Dragon again just to see if the problem was fixed.  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 12:49:44 PM »
    User comments from the technically inept aren't very insightful about the state of a new Operating System. You could find almost identical comments/posts back when Windows XP was released, and why people were sticking with Windows 98.

Incompatibilities between software somebody uses (such as DHS) and the new OS release is plenty reason to stick with an older version, and is certainly reasonable. Generalized "it sux and crashes and I no like it wah" posts aren't.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 02:06:52 PM »
    Nuance is selling new version of its DNS that  run better on Windows 8.1 than on Windows 10. The newest version is Nuance Dragon Naturally Speaking 15.
    From an advertisement:
    RAM: Minimum 4GB
    CPU: Intel® dual core or equivalent AMD processor. Faster processors yield faster performance.
    Free hard disk space: 8GB
    Supported operating systems: Windows 7, 8.1, 10 (32- and 64-bit); Windows Server 2008 R2 & 2012 R2
    Internet Explorer 11 or higher or the current version of Chrome for Online Help
    A sound card supporting 16-bit recording
    Built-in microphone or a Nuance-approved microphone—see support.nuance.com/compatibility for more information
    An Internet connection for product download and automatic product activation (a quick anonymous process)
    Note: Does not support dictation into Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems. For EMR support, please use Dragon Medical Practice Edition.
    They claim it runs on Windows 10. Nuance has never given a clear answer to customer complaints about Windows 10 issues. Not just DNS, but the other products do not work well with Windows 10 according to users.
    Here are reviews from Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Nuance-Dragon-NaturallySpeaking-Premium-English/product-reviews/B00LX4BYV6
    https://www.amazon.com/Nuance-Communications-Inc-M109A-G00-8-0-Professional/product-reviews/B0084PK8CS
    Thee is a lot more about the troubles the company has. It would seem that a great product has been harmed by the company that owns it. They should have made Windows 10 compatibility a major objective.  Instead, they spend money on advertising and lawyers to defend themselves from dubious bossiness pitfalls.
    Like this:
    http://tpr.org/post/remote-workers-vulnerable-disputes-company-say-employees
    On Friday, June 30th, Kathleen Keane was on her way to a concert with her son in the small town of Winnfield, Louisiana when she started getting texts from her manager, which she says never happens.
    Keane works remotely for Nuance Transcription Services, one of the top three largest companies in the field. According to their website, Nuance employs 12,000 medical transcriptionists and it's Nuance voice recognition and transcription products are in 10,000 U.S. hospitals. Those products had been crippled by the New Petya cyber attack on June 27.
    Is this the same company? Yes!
    For its part, Nuance has not responded to multiple voice messages from TPR on this story.  It is unclear how many people were working under the impression they would qualify for these incentives. Nuance is a Fortune 1000 company.
    Affected transcriptionists in multiple states TPR has interviewed say they are exploring filing wage and labor complaints.

The issues with Windows 10 were first reported just when Windows 10 was released. To date Nuance has not made any real  improvements  to the compatibly issue. Apparently. The work-grounds only  what individuals have discovered.
    Link:
    https://www.solvusoft.com/en/errors/runtime-errors/nuance-communications-inc/dragon-naturallyspeaking/2-dragon-naturallyspeaking-error-code-2/
    Yest you can not find t his information on the Nuance support. Which could mean the link above is wrong, or else Nuance just ignores the complaints.
    I did post this link below earlier. Here is is again.
    https://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/nuance.html

Notice is says "Last updated: Dec. 11, 2017" That was just last month. They still give a very bad review of the product.
    This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own.  ...
    Well, maybe the  consumer affairs is just a small group of people that like to complain.
    Here is a unhappy user:
    Original review: Dec. 11, 2017
    I've been using PaperPort 14.5 for years and although there were problems occasionally I was not prepared for the massive issues when upgrading to Windows 10. The 10 upgrade removed PaperPort from my computers. Nuance Support was not very helpful simply me to "kindly reinstall the software." Unfortunately the extra cost of the disk and extended support (rip off) since the initial support only lasts 90 days. I often never receive the hard cd for installation. The extended download electronically usually works once and they want you to spend another $7.99 for another not to mention the constant harassing of their telemarketers.
    Of course, his complaint was about another product.
    EDIT: Some users aver very happy with DNS on Windows 10.
    Original review: Nov. 7, 2017
    Just upgraded to Dragon Professional Personal 15. I am running latest upgrade of Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 3. I did a fair amount of dictation, mainly into Word, Outlook, and played a bit with machine control and tried using "intelligent" commands. DNS accuracy is the best of any of their versions I have used (I have been using it since v2). Phenomenal. Unbelievable. And easy!. That's the good news. It does what it says it does better than any other product.
    As for me, I will continue to use Dragon Naturally Speaking. And I will try it again with Windows 10.  If it works good now, I will let you know.   8)
    I use version 11 on Windows XP SP3 and it works good if I  have no other things running in the background.  :D
    « Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:35:58 PM by Geek-9pm »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 02:45:34 PM »
    With all that posted BC is still correct...
    It's up to Software Developers to keep up with OS releases...not the other way around...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #21 on: January 10, 2018, 03:32:55 PM »
    You seem to be intimating that accreditation means something. An "Accredited" company on the Consumer Affairs website is a company that subscribes and pays their monthly subscription fee. Without being "accredited"- which has no additional requirements beyond giving them money- companies cannot respond to alleged consumer testimonies.

Consumer Affairs sounds official, but like the Better Business Bureau they are nothing more than a racket posing as some sort of authority.

Apple Store isn't accredited. It's not a company, either, but it's not accredited. Neither is Apple iPhone But at least that "company" has positive reviews. Even more positive than what I can only guess is it's sister non-existent company, Apple iMac.

Despite this, Apple Computer isn't even listed.

Consumer Affairs, like the Better Business Bureau,  target small businesses. They either wait for legitimate customers to provide reviews or make them up and then contact the company about how great they are and how buying their subscription service would totally boost their publicity. if the company declines, they start rejecting positive reviews and let their score plummet with the negatives, and without paying the subscription fee the companies cannot respond to or dispute anything in the reviews. And, let's be realistic here- do you think people tend to post to that sort of site when they are happy with the product anyway? usually it's immediately after dealing with some frustrating aspect of the software while largely blinded by impotent rage.

I mean, jeez- one of the one star reviews is a guy who bought a product the same day that OS X Yosemite was released and was pissed that it wasn't compatible. What did he expect? Magic? It was never claimed to be compatible, and he was the one who upgraded his system anyway. I can see why he would be annoyed or pissed off but that annoyance and anger should be directed at the assumptions he made.

Is this the same company? Yes!
    Nuance Communications is not the same company as Nuance Transcription Services. The former owns the latter.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

jdale71961

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 02:53:16 PM »
      I have DNS version 11 Basic...I just installed it to my HP laptop with Win 10 with no problems

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 10:34:52 AM »
      I have DNS version 11 Basic...I just installed it to my HP laptop with Win 10 with no problems
      Jack, thanks for sharing.
      Please provide some more detail.
       Which HP machine do you have.
      What version of Windows 10.
      Were there anything unusual steps in the installation?
      That will help round out this thread and help others who come here.  :)