Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How To Manually Update My XP?  (Read 6306 times)

kingandsona

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    How To Manually Update My XP?
    « on: March 12, 2018, 09:21:21 PM »
    New to this forum so bear with me, I'm just desperate for help! I bought a laptop off of craigslist today because I was in desperate need of one seeing as my desktop has died. Only thing is I had no idea XP was no longer supported with many things. Is there a way to update it? It's in pretty good shape, just old. I tried to update the biois on the dell website but apparently the battery doesn't hold a charge well and it keeps telling me to charge it (It's on the charger but still not working.)
    The specs aren't so great from what I understand, Not fun going from my alienware to this, but I'm broke and can't afford anything else. Is there any hope for this to become a better machine?

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 2002 Service pack 3
    Intel(R) Celeron(R)M
    Processor 1.40GHz
    0.99GB of RAM

Thanks in advance!

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: How To Manually Update My XP?
    « Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 02:09:51 AM »
    ouch - Celeron 1.4GHz with 1GB of memory - no matter how you slice that, it's going to be a slow PC.
    so considering what you would have paid for it and your "I'm broke" statement you probably only have once choice - some sort of Linux distro.
    personally, I can recommend elementaryOS (based on Ubuntu) but there are heaps and all are free.

sticking with an updated Windows OS will for one: cost you money and secondly: run like a dog with those system specs.