Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PCI Express  (Read 1952 times)

hmartinsfilho

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    PCI Express
    « on: March 14, 2018, 06:55:26 PM »
    Good evening! May I use a PCI Express 3.0 graphic card (GTX 1050 - DDR5 - 2GB) on a motherboard with PCI Express 2.0 x 16 slot ?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: PCI Express
    « Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 08:25:51 AM »
    Yes but it'll run at 2.0 speeds...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PCI Express
    « Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 10:48:52 AM »
    Another potential bottleneck is what you have for a CPU. There is benchmark data online for video cards such as at https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+1050&id=3596

They also have a 30 day benchmark trial that I use for all my builds to see how they perform.

After you install the video card you can check for bottlenecking by running a benchmark against your video card after proper drivers installed first and it should be pretty close in benchmark to the benchmark average. From what i have been told elsewhere PCI 2.0 to 3.0 doesnt do that drastic of a performance hit, 3.0 just raises the ceiling for high end performance where 2.0 was limited. Many video cards that specify 3.0 run very well on older PCI Express 2.0 slots.

Other thing to be aware of is that if your monitor is a older VGA connection you wont be able to use this GTX 1050 with that monitor unless the monitor has a DVI Digital Connection. I bought a GTX 1050 and had to return it to the store because it didnt support a DVI to VGA adapter to use my older VGA flat screen display. The last series that supported analog out of DVI was the 700 series GeForce cards, so I got a GTX 780 Ti video card which has legacy VGA support through analog DVI port.