Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why Does Pressing on Laptop Screen Fix Flicker & Green Cast?  (Read 1910 times)

dgrrr

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Why Does Pressing on Laptop Screen Fix Flicker & Green Cast?
    « on: March 15, 2018, 08:20:53 PM »
    (Sony Vaio laptop, Win10 (originally Win7), model vpcf126fm, service tag c605gwxd, CPU i7 1.73ghz, 6gb RAM.)

This laptop screen shows weird colors (e.g. green where black should be), and it flickers in some contexts. (the Knoppix desktop looked like a wormhole animation!)

FYI, an external monitor hooked up to the vga port looks fine, so I assume it's the laptop screen, not video card.  Also, I completely reformatted the drive and put in a fresh copy of Windows 10, and this didn't change anything.

But when I pressed on the laptop screen, the problem went away; the image was normal. So I kept pressing here and there, and the problem returned. Kept pressing more, til the image was normal again.

Ppl report the same thing here:
    https://www.daniweb.com/hardware-and-software/hardware/threads/25441/flickering-green-laptop-screen

Can anyone estimate what's going on physically inside the laptop? (If you answer "loose cable", can you specify which connection?)

Thanks!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Why Does Pressing on Laptop Screen Fix Flicker & Green Cast?
    « Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 06:03:35 AM »
    The "loose cable" would be the display connector going from the mainboard to the Display. It could be loose on either end. Depending on which of the Red, Green, and Blue signal pins aren't making contact you'll get different colours on-screen; If two of those contacts are not making contact, then you get the third colour; if blue isn't, you'd get yellow; if green isn't, you get Magenta. if Red isn't, you get Cyan.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Why Does Pressing on Laptop Screen Fix Flicker & Green Cast?
      « Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 09:10:48 PM »
      If you check out this u tube video it shows your laptop being dismantled. "I'm not suggesting you dismantle the laptop" .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcuqLnj_b3c

At the end of the video they are removing the LCD screen and shows where the video connector is, it seems in your model to be higher up towards the top of the screen.
      If pressing the connector area changes the colour then it could be a bad connection on that connector and re plugging it in may be all that is required.
      If pressing in other areas which would not effect the connector cause the fault it is most likely the screen itself. Which you would likely get replaced.