Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 installation  (Read 5646 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows 7 installation
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 09:30:13 PM »
I agree in that I don't think the HDD size matters much in terms of whether it has failed or not. I have drives of various sizes. Some work, some have failed; I have failed 1.5TB and 3 TB drives less than 2 or 3 years of age, and working 50MB Drives from 1987. I'd also argue that for drives like this we might be at a point where we could see survivor bias so it may be the case that it is actually getting *less* likely for working older drives to fail than a new drive since the less reliable drives that had workmanship or manufacturing problems failed years ago, and a new drive could easily have those.

This would also be a rather unusual failure mode where it simply doesn't appear to the system or the windows installation program. More typical to see unusual behaviour, very slow read/write speeds, or hangs, at least in my experience.

Hard drive connects with a ribbon and it is red, i think its IDE

This actually sounds like it may be SATA to me, particularly the red colour. I don't recall ever seeing red PATA cables, though Red SATA cables are very commonplace and somebody not knowledgeable on the two could easily consider it a "ribbon". In that case it could be an issue with the SATA Host Controller. (Though I suppose with EIDE the same symptoms could point at the EIDE Host Controller too...)

Enclosure option to try to get the data off the drive is probably the best option here. If nothing else it can confirm that the drive "works" which could suggest an issue with the Host Controller/Drivers not being loaded by Windows 7.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Mark.

Adviser
  • Forum Regular
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Windows 7 installation
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 11:33:07 PM »
this some new guy hazing? Should I just delete my account?? Like I need to be educated on IDE ribbons and drive longevity.  ???

you simply need to realise that your opinions (as is anybody else's) are just that - your opinions.
and they are like armpits, everyone has more than one and we all think everyone else's stinks.  just human nature.  nothing personal (I hope).
also take into account this written medium, where all verbal cues are absent.  it is very easy to get the wrong end of the stick, so to speak.

no one opinion is wrong, per say, some are just more 'right' then others.
and remember the P in PC, each one is personal - your experience on yours may not be true for others.

all I'll add is Welcome to the forums, regularly contributing members are rare so please stick around.

if I can give any advice at all, maybe don't come in with all guns blazing, ease into the forums, let other members get a feel for your knowledge base, experience level, character traits etc.

just saying... :)