Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 says my system has 8MB L2 cache is this a flaw in Win 10?  (Read 3005 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Was checking out the resource manager when playing a game to see how hard Flatout 2 was hitting the APU and down in lower right corner of this it lists L1 and L2 cache sizes of the CPU. The size of the L2 cache states 8MB, but I went looking online to see if this is correct and the AMD A8-5545m 1.7Ghz with 2.7Ghz Turbo processor states 4MB of L2 cache.

So curious if there is another way to check L2 cache size to see if its really 8MB vs 4MB?

AMD has been known to disable sections of processors that are high end that didnt pass stress testing and shut off those areas and relabel higher end processors as lower end with locked out/disabled features. I am curious if this APU is a higher end processor that wasnt properly locked out for a higher cache size, so 8MB of L2 cache is actually functional vs 4MB of L2 cache.

I am impressed with the performance of this APU. It plays almost all of my games old and new titles and the computer alone without monitor with the quadcores running full tilt only draw 60 watts of power. It runs almost constantly above 2Ghz in the 2.4 to 2.7Ghz range and doesnt overheat. This just about constant Turbo enabled clock really helps with its ability to play games since most games run best at 2.5Ghz or faster clocked processors no matter of core count.

Here is the motherboard that I am running which came with this mobile APU in a desktop motherboard. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138448

Been running this board since August 2017 with no problems as my main computer to save on the electric bill as for combined power draw is 83 watts with computer and flat screen monitor. My other 8-core 3.3 and 4.0Ghz systems run between 200 and 465 watts with the power hungry CPU and GTX 570 and GTX 780 video cards.  :)

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows 10 says my system has 8MB L2 cache is this a flaw in Win 10?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 10:05:00 PM »
What does CPU-Z report?

Windows 10 get's that information by reading SMBIOS information, which would have been gathered by the BIOS at boot-up. It could be parsing it incorrectly or the information is wrong.

My understanding is that Programs like CPU-Z access the information more directly by actually looking at the hardware.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 11:20:34 PM »
Thanks for that suggestion BC... sure enough CPUZ reports 4MB so I guess Windows 10 is getting wrong info then.  :)

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 03:59:55 AM »
WMIC

Code: [Select]
C:\Users\Mike>wmic cpu get L2cachesize
L2CacheSize

Task manager

cpu-z

All agree... 1 MB L2 cache on the i7 4790.

I think Task manager queries the Registry, and gets a value from the key below, UNLESS that value is zero, in which case it queries the CPU via the HAL. It is possible someone altered that value as a misguided "tweak". It is set at zero on Windows installation I believe. I don't think changing it to some bigger value than the CPU has will do anything, good or bad.

C:\Users\Mike>reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v SecondLevelDataCache

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    SecondLevelDataCache    REG_DWORD    0x0

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 05:01:45 PM »
Thanks for that suggestion BC... sure enough CPUZ reports 4MB so I guess Windows 10 is getting wrong info then.  :)
Task Manager getting it from the registry, as above?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 05:30:54 PM »
Looks like it is inverted somewhat from your hypothesis. From here:

The value of this entry is used only when the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) cannot detect the L2 cache.
So either the SMBIOS info provided to the HAL is wrong, or there is no L2 cache information available via SMBIOS and somehow that registry key is wrong. I have no idea which is more likely. It's pretty easy to check a registry key though.

I think the BIOS itself sometimes reports cache sizes, so I'd *expect* that the values in the BIOS are what gets used to fill the SMBIOS info that is subsequently used by the HAL. (assuming of course that what I found indicating that Windows uses the SMBIOS information is correct)
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.