Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Scheduling software  (Read 2186 times)

cbatista3

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Scheduling software
    « on: March 22, 2018, 05:06:13 PM »
    Hello,
    I'm interested in learning how to create a computer software for employee scheduling and management. The program would essentially be on the computer, but I'd like to have an iphone and android version as well. I know how to code in MATLAB and Java (I've used Eclipse before), but other than that I don't really know how to even begin. Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Scheduling software
    « Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 07:40:01 PM »
    For a project like this, I'd design it around a database on a web host and have all devices connect through browser to it as the most easiest method. This would save from having to code for different platforms and instead you can have the webpage detect what browser is being used and then appropriate formatting for tablets vs desktop computers etc.

If your looking to make a product that comes at a cost, there are so many scheduling software options out there. Its a tough market. There are lots of free scheduling options out there as well as low cost. I would think that you might want to add a feature or two that other scheduling software dont have to be able to compete better, but only idea that comes to mind would be if you added video conferencing to it so those who have access to centralized scheduling would have reminders and then be able to connect together remotely if needed to attend important meetings. But there are video chat options out there outside of scheduling software that people are already using so.  :-\

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Scheduling software
    « Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 08:12:27 PM »
    Forgive my reinterpretation of your question, but:

"I want to create software for employee scheduling and management, something which is typically only provided by teams of experienced developers over a span of a few years. Also, I want it to be cross-platform. My skillset includes MATLAB and opening a Java IDE. Where do I start?"

Uncharitable? Maybe. but there is such a thing as biting off more than you can chew. And the breadth of this query is- well, a bit silly!

1. Create a design document from the perspective of the user. What capabilities does it provide, How will you, as a user, use the software? For software like this around  50 pages would be terse but workable.

2. Create a technical design document drawing from the first design document and describing how you plan to implement those features.

3. Implement the features in the technical design document.

Just as an overview- It's obviously going to use a database. Nobody can tell you what database to use- But I will say that MS Access would be a poor choice. Postgres is pretty good. You'll have to design the tables and you'll have to know how to work with a relational database if you haven't already as well as pick up  on the query language.

Since you want to support Apps, it needs to be possible to interface with that database via HTTP. This would mean learning how to program server-side web pages. So you'll have to choose a server side development technology and implement a database layer. realistically, you'll want all the business logic which deals with actually manipulating and dealing with the data as part of the web API itself. So that will be where the bulk of everything happens. Client apps/applications would interface through that web server to read and set information. For example perhaps an employee can book time off or something and that saves that information to the database which is used when constructing schedules.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.