Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS problem  (Read 3619 times)

moshe

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    BIOS problem
    « on: March 23, 2018, 09:06:20 AM »
    Hello,

When i start up the computer the BIOS looks strange (pics below).
    Is this OK? I not notice any additional problem with the normal use of the computer.

BIOS: American Megatrends 5.12 12/04/2017

Thank you

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]
    « Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 02:32:10 PM by moshe »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: BIOS problem
    « Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 08:33:12 AM »
    Was there a time when this system under your ownership of it didnt do this, and any history of it happened after a specific event such as bad storm etc, or is this a computer you acquired that has had this issue since you acquired it?

Looks like a corrupt BIOS flash maybe... What happens if you tap the key to get into BIOS, does it let you in and when you get there if you can get there does everything look ok?

Other possibility is a RAM issue where shared memory has an issue at that allocated space in system RAM. Memtest86 would be able to test for this as a culprit. I have seen systems behave fine most of the time and an issue with a memory address causes strange stuff that doesnt crash the system but makes for weird stuff.

Its assumed that the CMOS battery is healthy and not the cause.... If unsure you can swap the CMOS battery and see. Also can clear the CMOS and see if that corrects it via a jumper setting or push button on motherboard or removal of CMOS battery which might be a 2032 coincell.

I assume you dont have any overclocks in place and this computer is running the correct normal clock speeds to not make anything work outside of normal operating conditions, as for overclocking can cause weird stuff too.

Lastly, If the system has a video card, swap with a different video card and see if you get same results. If integrated video is available vs use of a video card try that and see if it clears it up. If its running off of integrated video and you can add a video card, add a video card and see if it cleans this issue up. *Slim chance it could be video card related.

If this was a system that someone used a BIOS hardware rewire hack with push button and correct timing to crack a locked password protected system, it can cause stuff like this too. But assuming this system was never one of those. And on that subject cant talk any further about it because cant give any other viewers of this hints on how password protected systems at the BIOS level can be cracked = unlocked for use vs paperweight.

moshe

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 04:48:04 PM »
      Was there a time when this system under your ownership of it didnt do this, and any history of it happened after a specific event such as bad storm etc, or is this a computer you acquired that has had this issue since you acquired it?

Looks like a corrupt BIOS flash maybe... What happens if you tap the key to get into BIOS, does it let you in and when you get there if you can get there does everything look ok?

Other possibility is a RAM issue where shared memory has an issue at that allocated space in system RAM. Memtest86 would be able to test for this as a culprit. I have seen systems behave fine most of the time and an issue with a memory address causes strange stuff that doesnt crash the system but makes for weird stuff.

Its assumed that the CMOS battery is healthy and not the cause.... If unsure you can swap the CMOS battery and see. Also can clear the CMOS and see if that corrects it via a jumper setting or push button on motherboard or removal of CMOS battery which might be a 2032 coincell.

I assume you dont have any overclocks in place and this computer is running the correct normal clock speeds to not make anything work outside of normal operating conditions, as for overclocking can cause weird stuff too.

Lastly, If the system has a video card, swap with a different video card and see if you get same results. If integrated video is available vs use of a video card try that and see if it clears it up. If its running off of integrated video and you can add a video card, add a video card and see if it cleans this issue up. *Slim chance it could be video card related.

If this was a system that someone used a BIOS hardware rewire hack with push button and correct timing to crack a locked password protected system, it can cause stuff like this too. But assuming this system was never one of those. And on that subject cant talk any further about it because cant give any other viewers of this hints on how password protected systems at the BIOS level can be cracked = unlocked for use vs paperweight.

Since I acquired it.

I entered the bios and he looks fine.

The power adapter die now and I change it to 2A output and 0.8A input instead of 5A and 1.6A, temporary replacement. so I don't want to stress the computer for now (Memtest86)?

No overclock.

I'l check the video card as soon as possible. (intel CPU video card)

If this was a system that someone used a BIOS hardware rewire hack with push button and correct timing to crack a locked password protected system? why? stolen computer? I can live with this?

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 08:58:43 PM »

The power adapter die now and I change it to 2A output and 0.8A input instead of 5A and 1.6A, temporary replacement. so I don't want to stress the computer for now (Memtest86)?

I think the above answers your question, It is unlikely the computer could complete post tests with a power supply with 1/2 the output current. What computer is it and we can advise on a better replacement power supply.

moshe

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 06:23:57 AM »
          500GB SSD
          8GB RAM
          DC 12V/5A

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]
          « Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 06:37:50 AM by moshe »

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 08:50:47 AM »
          I believe she meant what make and model PC is it ? ?

The problem will persist til you get your power issues sorted...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

moshe

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 12:10:55 PM »
            The maker is custom builder not branded.

I bought new DC 12V 5A but the head of the cord does not fit to the computer (*censored*?)

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 12:25:19 PM »
            See my post above...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

moshe

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 11:56:51 AM »
              update:

i connected an adapter to the DC cable head, now the computer are working.

on the first start up the bios looks the same as the problem, then i turn'd on the a/v reciever and the tv with the computer, and the bios looks good in both the tv and the computer. except i notice'd the number 99 on the right bottom corner, should it be there?