Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toshiba Qosmio x875 - Black Screen While Using. Restarted, No Longer Has Display  (Read 2413 times)

Amber_Flowers

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    I was working in Chrome browser. Screen went black, almost instant, but saw a faint gradient look along the bottom. Waited 5 mins, remained black with no change. Hard restart via power button. I hear everything start running like usual, the LED lights come on, the backlit keyboard works, the USB works, but the screen remains black. There is no longer the Qosmio logo or any sign of Windows 8. Only a deep blackness that is the same as when it's powered off. I tried holding up a flashlight during startup for signs of a faint display, nothing. I tried HDMI cable with TV and fn + f4 to force display. TV was in the correct HDMI source. Nothing. Bought VGA and external monitor. Monitor was in VGA mode. Still nothing.

It has the original batteries. I did have a battery alert recently, is that main battery or CMOS and would that cause the screen to shot off and stay off, but everything else (excluding Windows) still power on? Shouldn't it be fine as long as it's hooked up to the cable?
    "Your battery charge capacity is relatively poor. After a period of time, the battery will lose its ability to perform at max capacity & may need to be replaced. This is normal for all batteries. For more info about the 'poor' charge status click the help button."

I also have had issues with windows update database error which the computer troubleshooting tool fixed. I recently upgraded an older Wacom tablet to a newer model with both pen and touch. I put my computer into sleep nightly. Windows asked me to install a maintenance update required for a connected device. It had never asked that before, so I assumed it was because of the Wacom. Installed it. The laptop touchpad started behaving like the touch Wacom. Using the laptop touchpad, the mouse wouldn’t move on the screen. I could only scroll and had to navigate with tab and keyboard arrows. The next day, I woke the computer and the Wacom was blinking. Tried my old Wacom, it also wouldn’t ‘connect’. I tried restarting the tablet and Wacom services manually. I tried restarting the computer. I tried an old wireless USB mouse, but at first the USB ports didn't respond. I used keyboard navigation to uninstall the Wacom. Then the old USB mouse worked. The touchpad was still acting like a Wacom touch tablet. I also noticed the touchpad worked normally until I enter the password to login to Windows. Once logged in, the touchpad acts up again. Otherwise, all seemed fine. I woke it from sleep yesterday and was using the USB mouse in Chrome. The screen turned off. It is black and will not come on.

If I can’t diagnose and save my computer, I need to know how to safely get my data off the hard drive...if it's not too late. Thank you.

Toshiba Qosmio x875-Q7390
    Windows 8
    Original batteries, never opened, no user modifications.

SPECS:
    http://www.toshiba.co.il/en/discontinued-products/qosmio-x875-bqs/
    https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Qosmio-X875-Q7290-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B0085N1EV8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    my initial thought was the screen's back light has failed, and it could still be that, but your flash light technique should have seen some screen writing although it is an art to get the flash light at the right angle to the screen and at the part of the screen that should have characters.

either way, just the back light or the screen itself, it'll be a costly exercise to repair, about a third or maybe half the cost of just replacing the whole unit.

first priority for me would be to get my data backed up (you don't have any at the moment do you? :D )
    so flip it over, remove the hard drive (that in itself can be an adventure) and you can install it into an external drive enclosure, costs about $AUD20.

Amber_Flowers

Topic Starter

Thank you for replying. :) 

I tried various angles, but with the HDMI/VGA method not working, I'm assuming It's not the back light?

It was $1600 new, so hoping won't be too expensive to repair. I'd planned to upgrade soon, but not this way. Had intended to use it as a backup. Without some idea of the cause, the repair bill will be even higher.

That's my priority. I've got about a TB of photos and documents to somehow retrieve. Without the screen, the only option I'm aware of is laptop surgery + adaptor as you'd mentioned. I'm concerned I'll damage it during removal or have static and damage something else. I also don't know which external drive or adaptor to use. I may be overreacting, but I am quite nervous.   

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
        Hi sorry to but in, I have a few customers who have had the same laptop and when it has the no screen problem it is likely it is a failed GTX 670M video card. They are getting very hard to find and are still quite expensive. If you take the laptop to a service shop they will take the 2 hard drives out. yes your laptop has 2 and copy the photos to a USB drive.

Don't let the shop keep the drives or your laptop as the 750Gb hard drive from the laptop is another backup of your stuff.

Mark.

Adviser
        • Forum Regular
          • Yes
        @vintron,
        all good - no such thing as too much advice.  :)

@amber,
        agree, if you are unsure as to the way forward, definitely time for some hired help.
        despite the initial cost of the rig, and an equivalent now only being probably somewhere around $1000-1200, and the cost of repair (if even possible) running into, say, a few hundred, you'd still have to ask yourself, is the money better spent on bringing the planned update forward, even though it's via an unplanned reason?