Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop plugged in and not charging (only charges normally when closed)  (Read 1803 times)

Eshlin

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    I am using a three and a half year old Lenovo G50.

It was working fine 2 days ago and this problem started yesterday. The batter can last about 40 minutes to an hour if fully charged.

The hinge is loose, I glued it on and the charging port also is slightly loose. When I plug it in, it charges normally when off. However, I cannot charge the machine when it is on. It says "plugged in, not charging".

What can I do?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    My guess is that that loose connection cant carry the current load of charging battery and powering laptop off of the power supply. Correction would be to inspect the main board or daughter board where this power jack is located and verify that the solder connection is still good and not cracked or loose. If cracked or loose you might be able to apply new solder and make a better connection which could then take the current load of a battery charge + powering of the laptop.

Other thing it could be if not a current issue at the "loose" power jack would be if this power supply was an aftermarket power supply or suddenly is now unable to carry the current load of both battery and powering of laptop. To correct for this you have to replace the power supply.

Sounds like this laptop has had a hard life so far, taken a fall, or someone or something clothes lined the power connection when it was plugged in damaging the jack.

Eshlin

Topic Starter

Rookie

Thank you for answering my question.

Do you think that this problem is easily fixable and will it be easily done by a repairman at a decent cost?

The laptop has fallen a few times. I replaced the HD a few months ago which may have been caused by a fall and it may have been subjected to rough handling while in my bag as well especially with the hinge being loose.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      The power jack is the 1st issue that needs to be addressed...as i stated in Chat a local PC shop can do it...expect $35 to $50 for the repairs...
      Then you can decide if it's worth throwin more cabbage into the machine...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "