Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unwanted up keeps opening on my navigators  (Read 4881 times)

John B

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Unwanted up keeps opening on my navigators
    « on: March 19, 2018, 10:36:42 AM »
    Hello, I have been having some problems with my navigators recently (safari and chrome). It all started when I downloaded several third-party apps to try to recover some important files I deleted accidentally. The apps were all safe, except for one that Google warned me about (I don't remember its name or where I downloaded it from, I was desperate at the moment).
    Google said it could be malware and that it would try to add extensions to Chrome, however, I thought it was the general Google kind of warning.
    However, now I am having troubles with an unwanted tab opening up every time, it doesn't lead to anywhere, it just opens and then closes automatically. I deleted and reinstalled Google Chrome, deleted all extensions, reset Chrome, ran Malwarebytes Anti-malware for mac (it found some issues at first, I got rid of them. Now when I run Malwarebytes it says it did not find any malware), none made a difference.
    I deleted cookies and cache from Chrome, and now the unwanted tab won't open, but there is always this warning on the top right "This page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated fonts."
    Another thing that worries me is that there are some files on Finder that did not appear before (it looks like their opacity icon is down as if they were not real folders as if they were hidden). For example, when I open my external HD on Finder, there are 4 files like this (.com.apple.timemachine.donotpresent ; .fseventsd ; .Spotlight-V100 ; .Trashes ; this last one, .Trashes, has an arrow icon on the bottom right of the folder icon, as if it said the folder is being downloaded, also it won't let me open the .Trashes file, it says I have no permission to see its content).
    I am worried because I work with this computer, I do freelance with video editing, so I am afraid it might damage my mac or storage devices, make me lose important work, or even get hold of important info as account passwords.
    If you guys could help me, it would be the best thing ever hehe, I am really desperate about this.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Unwanted up keeps opening on my navigators
    « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 03:16:07 PM »
    You are using a MAC with Apple OS.
    As far as I know there isn't a nice automated way to provide t System Restore as it is in  Windows. Too bad.

So your best option is to restore from a backup you have made earlier.

If you do not have a backup, now is the time to make one. Bedsore you go an further, make a full backup. Hopefully it can be used to help fix the problem later or help if things go from bad to worse.

Hindsight. Anytime you are about to do anything that might make thugs go downhill, you need to have some kind of backup or recovery plan already in place.

If you have the time and resources, try this:
    A. Get a new or used hard drive you trust.
    B. Install the new drive  with the Mac OS you have.
    C. Hook up your old drive as a external slave.
    D. Try to get what you need from the  old drive. And do not erase the old drive until you are sure everything is working perfectly.

That is the best I can offer.
    The alternative would be to take it to an expert technician who really knows what he is doing.