Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cant get refresh rates above 60hz on a 200hz screen  (Read 4289 times)

tommo020788

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Cant get refresh rates above 60hz on a 200hz screen
    « on: March 30, 2018, 11:28:07 PM »
    Hi everyone,
    So I wen't to buy a big TV screen and I paid top dollar for one particular TV, because they told me it is actually capable of a TRUE 200Hz refresh rate (not just some backlight to give it an "equivalent").

I took the TV home, plugged it in to my computer, opened up the display settings all excited to change it to 4k @ 120hz, but then I find that no matter what the resolution is set at, I still cannot get above 60hz...

So I called the TV manufacturer thinking "damnit they lied and gave me a TV which has a fake refresh rate advertised".
    The manufacturer said that the TV is in fact a 200hz TV, and they suggested perhaps my graphics card does not support a higher refresh rate than 60hz.
    When I told them my graphics card DOES support higher refresh rates than 60Hz, they suggested that I would need a HDMI 2.0b cable, and that might be my problem...

So I went out, bought myself a brand new top of the range HDMI cable, and still the refresh rates cannot go above 60hz...

So I contacted the graphics card manufacturer, and they told me that yes the graphics card is in fact capable of supporting a refresh rate of 60hz, but perhaps the TV doesn't support it....

Being sick of going around in circles, I checked online forums, and I'm seeing mixed opinions,  that HDMI cables don't support refresh rates above 60hz, but others saying it does...

Whats the REAL answer here??
    I loaded up a linux based OS recently, and it was set at 70hz, so whats the go here??
    I'm at a loss here, because I have no idea what the real answer is...
    Why can I not get above 60hz on my windows 10 OS, but a linux based OS was running the display at 70hz?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Cant get refresh rates above 60hz on a 200hz screen
    « Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 05:48:11 AM »
    What is the actual video card make/model and what is the actual TV make/model so we can see the whole picture of what you have. Additionally if you can provide all computer specs if you have those too as well as is it everything capping at 60Hz or just a game etc.

Lastly I am guessing you have the latest driver installed for your GPU and not using the default driver that Windows associates with it?

tommo020788

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 06:26:10 AM »
      Sorry I should have included that information.

GPU: GTX 1060 running in overclocked mode via ASUS GPU TweakII.
      CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 Overclocked and stable.
      Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
      Monitor: Samsung 4k TV - Model no:UA55MU8000W
      Here's a link to a page with the TV: http://www.samsung.com/au/support/model/UA55MU8000WXXY
      Yes I uninstalled the Graphics drivers and reinstalled with an automatic NVIDIA Geforce updater today, still no joy.

I have tried setting it in the display settings (right clicking on windows desktop, clicking to change resolution etc), and I have tried forcing the refresh rate through the NVIDIA control panel, but when I try to force it, the TV turns off.

If you look on the specs on their website, it actually doesn't tell you the refresh rate. It only specifies that it has the backlight thing to smooth blurring.
      I had to call the manufacturer to ask them if the TV actually has a real refresh rate of 200hz, and they initially said it doesn't when they looked at the specs online, but I told them the retailer told me it was definitely 200hz, so they checked with their tech people and they said yes it is actually a 200hz TV.

I read somewhere that you can't get above 60hz with a HDMI cable, and that you gotta use a DVI cable or (display port).
      This TV only has support for HDMI...

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 01:57:18 PM »
      If you check the manual here
      http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201801/20180123105059723/ENG_KTMDVBADL-3.1.2_171206.0.pdf

Page 119 Read Before Connecting a Computer (Supported Resolutions)

It shows the native resolution is 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz with the HDMI UHD Color set to On. The native resolution is 3840 x 2160 at
      30Hz with the HDMI UHD Color set to Off.

The highest refresh is 72Hz at lower resolution, which i suspect Linux would have used with no Nvidia drivers loaded.
      This is a HDMI limitation as well as the TV's so if you want higher refresh you would need to use the display port and a monitor.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

tommo020788

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 06:55:35 PM »
        Basically what you are saying, is that the retailer lied to me, right?
        Because first the retailer said "this is a 200hz TV, and YES it WILL work on your computer for gaming.
        Then when I called him later and asked him why he recommended this TV if it only has HDMI compatibility, and so can not get above 60hz, and he said something to the effect of "it doesn't matter what the signal is coming through. if the graphics card sends information at higher than 60 frames per second, then the screen itself will display it with a refresh rate of above 60hz.

So... I'm still confused. Did the retailer lie to me?

I specifically told the guy it was for gaming and that I wanted to get higher refresh rates in gaming, so he recommended this expensive TV becuase its a 200hz TV.
        I mean if I cant get above 60hz in gaming from my PC because this TV doesn't have the right display ports for it, I feel like I've been duped...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 07:30:05 PM »
        Google search:
        Today's Ultra HD 4K TVs are all marketed with "motion," "action" and "clear" numbers that start at 240Hz and go up from there. They're all basically made up. Here's the real story.
        That quote is from a CNET story about three years ago.
        The extreme refresh rate is a myth created by innovative marketing people.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 10:10:04 PM »
        So... I'm still confused. Did the retailer lie to me?
        Kind of sounds like it. I can't find anything to suggest it's a 200Hz TV at all. "if the graphics card sends information at higher than 60 frames per second, then the screen itself will display it with a refresh rate of above 60hz." Sounds like nonsense.

The retail worker(s) might not be lying deliberately, though. Like Geek mentions, There are a bunch of useless marketing "specs" which are purposefully inflated on the part of the manufacturer to ridiculously high values.

The "200Hz Motion Refresh Rate" means that with settings like "Motion Plus" enabled, the TV will take it's accepted 60Hz (or 70hz) input and "interpolate" between frames.

The TV does NOT accept those higher refresh rates from external sources. Worse still- these features involve additional processing which will result in added latency between the input signal and the display on the screen, which is not good for most games.
        [/quote]

I think this is the CNET article Geek-9pm referenced.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.