Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10's April 2019 Update should...  (Read 6237 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Windows 10's April 2019 Update should...
« on: January 26, 2019, 03:53:58 PM »
Windows 10's April 2019 Update should....
(Note to moderator. This may qualify as fake news, which is the new standard.)
PCWoeld and others say the up going Windows spring update will be alright.
Some links:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3336062/windows/windows-10-next-update-is-april-2019-update.html

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/upcoming-version-of-windows-10-could-be-called-april-2019-update/

https://www.webnews.it/2019/01/25/windows-10-19h1-windows-10-april-2019-update/
That last ones says:
Microsoft, sino ad ora, non si è mai sbilanciata sul nome finale che darà a questo update. In realtà è da un po’ di tempo che il gigante del software non presta più attenzione a questi dettagli che una volta venivano annunciati per tempo. Tuttavia, grazie all’ultima versione di Microsoft Powershell è stato possibile scoprire in via ufficiosa il nome di questo aggiornamento. A meno di ripensamenti, Windows 10 19H1 si dovrebbe chiamare Windows 10 April 2019 Update. La denominazione che il gigante del software avrebbe scelto non dimostra particolare fantasia. Tuttavia il nome segue la linea presa da Microsoft nel corso del 2018.

Translation=
Microsoft, until now, has never biased on the final name that will give this update. In fact, it's been a while since the software giant has paid more attention to these details that were once announced in good time. However, thanks to the latest version of Microsoft Powershell, the name of this update was unofficially discovered. Unless you change your mind, Windows 10 19H1 should call Windows 10 April 2019 Update. The name that the software giant would have chosen does not show any particular fantasy. However, the name follows the line taken by Microsoft during 2018.
Would you say that?  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows 10's April 2019 Update should...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 05:10:00 PM »
It's more a case of non-news.

Regardless of what they call it, There are two things that have prevented me from bothering to update my main desktop past 1803 so far:

1. There is no clear reason to

2. There is a clear reason not to.

Without 2 I'd probably still go ahead. But, 2- and it's arguably a niggle, but for some reason every time I see it on my laptop I get (unreasonably) and  inexplicably irritated. in the October Update, they changed Start->Search so that instead of merely presenting results, it now also has a IMO worthless right-side pane:

It's worthless to me because it's literally the options presented when you right click that result. It's wasted space. I can kind of see *why* they added it because perhaps a more average user might not be aware of the options found in right-click, but to me it's a huge amount of wasted space- IMO it should be something that could be disabled if you don't want it, but it's effectively hard-coded into Start->Search in 1809 as far as I can find.

For comparison, This is what the same search looks like in 1803:

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

davidgreams

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows 10's April 2019 Update should...
    « Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 05:52:08 PM »
    The issue with Windows is that it's a rolling release. If you've dabbled in Linux for any lenght of time, you'll know that it's best not to run a rolling release bur, rather, a long term stable OS, on any production / mission-critical machine. Rolling releases may be good for general consumption computers (and in the case of Linux they might require manual intervention, so are mostly recommended to enthusiasts, even though distros like Solus execute the rolling release model for all customers well), but they are bound to have some stability issues and random things happening overtime. There is only so much time to put into testing updates in that case.

...And the fact that keeping Windows a rolling release is a dumb idea has proven time and time and time again.

Please, Microsoft, open your LTS branch to everybody. Windows 10 being a rolling release forced me to outsource my more critical work to the LTS branch of Ubuntu, because I simply cannot afford a software update (that is, by the way, forced on me) to get on the bleeding edge Windows to delete all my files.