Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My computer won't recognize the Ethernet cable that's plugged in  (Read 2875 times)

Neil2323

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    I recently built my first computer and it turned on just fine, but when I plugged in my Ethernet cable, my computer didn't recognize it.

I tried installing Network Connections drivers, but it gave me an error message: "Cannot install drivers. No Intel(R) Adapters are present in this computer"
    Where can I find these adapters?

I've never had this problem before, so I'm not sure what to do... Any help would be appreciated.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: My computer won't recognize the Ethernet cable that's plugged in
    « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 11:13:16 PM »
    You said:
    I've never had this problem before, so I'm not sure what to do... Any help would be appreciated.
    How many builds have you done?
    Whenever you buy a motherboard, you should receive a CD with the chip set drivers. Most modern motherboards have Ethernet as part of the motherboard features and the chip set drivers come from Intel or AMD.

If not in the box, go to the web site and download the drivers. You have itID the motherboard to know where to go.

For the Gigabyte motherboards you go here:
    https://www.gigabyte.com/WebPage/19/download-center.html
    For ASUS:
    https://www.asus.com/support/Download-Center/
    And MSI:
    https://us.msi.com/support
    Of course, you will need a PC that already has internet.
     Copy the stuff onto a thumb drive.

Neil2323

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 05:20:21 AM »
      This is my first build. I have a Gigabyte motherboard btw.

I know, I have this CD with drivers, but I'm not sure which one to download.
      And are you sure that the link you gave me is compatible with Windows 10? It says I should use Windows XP/Vista/7.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 11:58:20 AM »
      Sorry I did not check the link details.
      What is the exact model number of your Gigabyte Motherboard?

Meanwhile, I know for a fact that Windows 10 does a good job of getting drivers if it has a Internet connection. One thing I have done is to use an external WI-Fi USB adapter that comes with generic drivers that Windows 10 will use if it is the 32 bit version

My predicament not really yours, but similar. I had Windows 10 32 bit running, well, but I needed to get drivers for my 64 bit Windows  7 install on another machine. So I have to look  around on the site of the company that made the motherboard and download the exact driver for the 64 bit windows for that exact  motherboard.

What I mean to say is that 64 bit drivers get to be a nightmare. You have to be very sure you have the right ones, but You cannot find them if ;you do not have Internet. And if the Internet is  via the Ethernet cable your are in a hole you can not get out of. So you must do the download on another computer, transfer files on a USB drive , and then install on the problem machine and reboot.

This is the general support page for Gigabyte here in the USA:
      https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Support

Please note they want the model number of the motherboard.   :)
      There are some specific issues with Windows 10 64 bit and some Gigabyte weatherboards. So you have to already know the model number when you use another PC, it can not probe a PC that is not online. You have to provide the model number of the mother  ahead of time. And you may have to also download the .NET things from Microsoft. And install them on the problem machine.