Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Which Windows 10 versions are stable now?  (Read 3001 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Which Windows 10 versions are stable now?
« on: April 06, 2018, 11:48:21 AM »
Once  again, I have to install Windows 10.
I doubt that is is just a common hardware issue, Windows 7 works just fine. And tests of the RAM and Hard drive do not show any problems.
So I think my old Dell 755 is just not suitable for the insider preview. I need to install a stable version of Windows 10. (32 bit pro)

Any suggestions would be helpful.  :)

Salmon Trout

Re: Which Windows 10 versions are stable now?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 01:57:58 PM »
Not sure what you mean by 'stable version'. Or why you think you have a choice of versions, unless you mean Home/Pro/Enterprise. You do know that you have to pay for Windows 10 now? That is, you can't get a free new install via the Insider program.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »
In addition to what ST said, you always want the most current version of whatever OS you are using.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 02:40:37 PM »
In fairness, I should admit that I only found out the other day that, although I have been in the Windows Insider Program for 3 years, and have a Dell D830 laptop that has been getting builds all that time, that does not mean I can download the latest Insider build and install it on another machine, that never had it before, and expect it to be activated, even if I sign in via my Microsoft account. That option went away quite some time ago. To activate, you need a valid license, Insider or regular build. There is plenty of information on the Web about what this means. There are quite a few differences from previous versions of Windows in this regard.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 02:58:25 PM »
...I need to install a stable version of Windows 10. (32 bit pro)...
Download Media Creation Tool from Microsoft.
Current version is 1709.
1803 will be release sometime this month.

Mark.

Adviser
  • Forum Regular
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 04:20:06 PM »
So I think my old Dell 755 is just not suitable for the insider preview. I need to install a stable version of Windows 10. (32 bit pro)

it could be that because the Insider Previews are still in Beta, your PC is picking up some bug.
so probably worth trying getting off that IP track and seeing if that helps.
since you already have Win10 installed and activated, this would be a free installation, conversion, upgrade (downgrade?), whatever.  :)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 04:30:19 PM »
Thank all of you for  you help.

The failed system was recently installed using the Windows Media Creation tool. It was activated with my digital license on file with Microsoft. It was the insider version.

Just to clarify. I have la  legal license for three Windows 10 installations.
The PC I use every day is this Dell 755, which is a replacement for my older Dell the went bad. In addition, I have two other machines with licensed Windows 10.

All three licenses are for earlier updates to windows 7 pro 322, Windows 7 home   64 and Windows 8 home  64. This was back at an earlier time when the upgrade were available. These were registered with Microsoft and have digital license. I do not use a product key top activate.  (Windows 7 requires the key.)

(Recently I thought I had to use the Product key on my Gateway, went through a lot of work to find it, and then just before I was about to enter it, it tells me the thing is already activated.)

My Dell 755 has been having trouble with Windows 10 using the insider build. I do not know exactly what happened to it. So today I retrieved an ISO I got earlier this year and installed it using Rufus.  Right away in connected to Microsoft and confirmed b\my digital license.

So now I am using 1709 on the Dell 755,  but it is build 16299.125 mad seems to work fine. Earlier I ha To repeat, this time I used Rufus. And Windows is i the 32 bit pro version.

My guess is that the updates did not work right. I am not able to confirm that was the problem. Normally I let Windows 10 do updates whenever it wants.  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 04:55:05 PM »
The "Digital License" for the free upgrade only applies to that specific computer, and I think it also "consumes"  the previous version of Windows. For example, if you upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 on a particular PC, then that PC has a digital license for Windows 10, and the Windows 7 Product Key for the original system is also "consumed"- that is, you cannot install a copy of Windows 7 legally on another system using that product key.

Additionally, you can install Windows 10 onto that specific system as much as you want, and it will continue to "consume" that Windows 7 license by virtue of how the Digital License is an upgrade of the Windows 7 Product Key License.

It applies only to that specific system, however; if you upgraded three computers during the free upgrade time, for example, then you cannot shuffle that Windows 10 "Digital license" around to other computers, even using the versions of windows from which you originally upgraded. The digital entitlement only applies to the  specific systems on which it had been installed.

For example if you have a PC that had Windows 7 on it that you upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period, you cannot install a copy of WIndows 7 on another PC using the product key from the first one, nor can you install a copy of Windows 10 on another PC using the "license" from the first one, even if you uninstall Windows 10 from the first system.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 10:33:16 PM »
Somehow something got lost in the translation.
I have three computers.
I have three digital licenses.

The current issue is not the legality of my license, it is about the stability of either my hardware or the Windows 10  installation/ Yes, at one time I was getting confused and had a hard time remembering with windows went with which PC. But I am sure I have that part right now.

Presently I am only using two computers,  not all three. Not enough desk space.
I just made a full backup of my 500 GB drive and no errors were reported, so I think the hardware is basically sound.

Foursome reason Windows 10 keeps giving me a bedtime and I have no clue. No error messages, just erratic performance..

Next week lI will get a new router. Maybe that will help.  :-\