Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Voice recognition  (Read 2504 times)

stan319

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Voice recognition
    « on: April 07, 2018, 10:19:15 AM »
    One of my people on Meals on Wheels is legally blind. She has a computer and I was wondering if a program that she talks into and it prints is a good idea for her.
    I don't know much more than that. I'm not real good with computers and heard that these programs take a lot of memory. Would a external hard drive help?
    Can anyone help?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Voice recognition
    « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 12:57:12 PM »
    There are already existing solutions for the blind for communication. Legally Blind and with insurance to help cover costs associated with a communications means it would probably be easier to go this route vs reinventing the wheel.

There are software apps out there for speech to text but really thinking that getting a solution that is engineered for the blind would be best and it should also be affordable vs making your own.

stan319

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 02:15:57 PM »
      Thanks. I'll have to tell her about that.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 06:08:27 PM »
      I have a serious vision problem and can not drive a car.
      My principal tools are n XP computer with Dragon Naturally Spewing versio9n 12
      Also, I have an Apple iPad and I can use Sheri for some help with searches over the internet.

If here current PC is running windows 7 or 8, she can still get the Windows 10 upgrade free. This is for anybody was has handicapped that requires additional tools or software to use a computer.

In my case, I get very little help from the government. But  on my federal income tax, but I am so low on the income level that it makes not difference.

Ewen with computer technology, a hand held magnifier glass is still useful. I keep a couple near at hand when using my PC.

Having dual displays helps. I use two 32 inch TV sets. Most modern desktops with built-graphics provide dual display. But on this particular model of a Dell 755 I had to get another video card.

A Google search will uncover a wide range of things for the visually handicapped. Watch out for the few that just want your money. Here is a good starting point:
      http://blindnesssupport.com/resources.html
      It is a list for helpful links.  ;) 

stan319

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 08:02:48 PM »
          Thanks, I will tell her.
          She has a magnifying program and it helps. She was frustrated by the lack of help awhile ago and is very bitter.
          I tried to tell her that even a couple of years is a long time in computer time and to see what can be done. It's a whole new world out there.
          She has a smart phone and depends on that a lot.
          All I can do is talk to her. I'm only a volunteer that does her shopping, but I like her and her husband and want to help.
          She's legally blind and her husband has medical problems. I would like to think if anyone deserves help, it's these people.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 11:28:42 PM »
        This is from dictation.
        It makes me glad to hear that you are a volunteer. Volunteer workers are very important part of society. For many years I have volunteered some of my time in an activity that would benefit others that did not have the experience and knowledge that I possess. However, a number of years ago something happened that changed my life.
        I started the have cataracts in both of my eyes and I ignore the first long as I could and then decided to have a simple operation to remove the cataracts. Well, to make a long story short, the operation was not really successful. Eventually the retina in one Eisele and the doctors were not able to recover it even after extensive attempts to try to fix it. This left me in a condition where I was considered legally blind, although really mutton my vision still was very good, but I was not able to read and used to.
        Not being able to read easily limited my ability to give lectures and to teach others.
        Right now I am dictating this using a product called Dragon naturally speaking. I am using it inside of Windows XP because it works very well inside of Windows XP. Unfortunately, the program does not work well in Windows 10.
        Give my regards to your friend and continue to offer her words of hope. But of course, computers themselves cannot solve all the problems that we have in our human condition. Still, it's a good idea to take advantage of whatever tools one can find.
        And yes, I understand bitterness. I have a very bitter feeling about companies that make inkjet printers. I have literally spent thousands of dollars on inkjet printers over the years. I cannot create ordinary newspaper or magazine articles, so I download things off of the Internet in PDF format and blow them up and print them out so I have something to read. I go through a lot of ink and printers and I am getting very bitter about the attitude inkjet printer companies have. You have to pay as much for the incus to do for the printer.
        Well, I'm getting off topic. I hope this tirade I've given will encourage you to speak to your friend and offer her some comfort did you can.
        End of dictation.

stan319

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 02:30:47 PM »
          Thanks for the kind words. It would have been better if I had done this 20 years ago, but I guess it's better late than never.
          I have had a lens replaced due to cataracts.
          I talked to my friend, but she does not even want to bother and that's up to her. She has a magnification program and she says she is used to it. Her problem has something to do with glaucoma, but I never really asked.
          Maybe, she will change her mind in the future. This computer stuff is changing all the time.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 03:03:02 PM »
          A word about about glaucoma.
          Do not de3lay or disobey your doctor's orders. Anybody who has the precursor to glaucoma needs to pay attention. It is not reversible with current medical science. I am taking drops every day to prevent it from destroying the one eye I still have.

Technically it may not have been glaucoma the destroyed my right eye.  I have diabetes, which can lead to vision loss. The cataract operation over stressed my right eye and the retina fell. It is a rare thing, but does happen. That is like saying fatal accidents are rare  in the Aviation industry.  But they do happen, and yum ought to have your seat belt on when the captain says so.

If she is conformable with the equipment she has, don't pressure her to try something else. Dealing with any handicap can be  hard to  do. There is an old proverb about waling in someone's shoes and it is not talking about shoes.  ;D

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 04:09:19 PM »
          And thank you again for volunteereing....
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

stan319

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 06:36:01 PM »
            No pressure from me.
            I'm not a relative or caretaker. I just do their shopping through meals on wheels. I'm 67 years old, so, this computer stuff is bewildering to me and it's up to them to explore it if they want to.
            I just wanted to make them aware of whats out there. The decision is their's.They have their own doctors to ask.
            I've been shopping for them for awhile and I like them and I'm just trying to help.
            I have a mild case of diabetes and I know how everybody has some advice. I always go over their head and talk to my doctor. I have studied diabetes. I know what to do ( although, I don't always do it ).
            I keep waiting for medical science to come up with something to cure diabetes before mine gets too bad.
            Take care of yourself.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 08:20:26 PM »
            It's still volunteering...God Bless...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "