Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trouble logging onto Windows after failed OS factory reset  (Read 2799 times)

alexd0100

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Certifications: List
    • Experience: Experienced
    Trouble logging onto Windows after failed OS factory reset
    « on: April 11, 2018, 12:11:18 AM »
    I'm trying to help my sister fix her computer.

She was doing what a call a "factory reset" on an HP laptop running Windows 10. Midway through it, the computer shut down. Afterwards, she couldn't log onto Windows.

I checked the computer. It boots just fine, gets to the Windows GUI log-on screen and automatically logs on. Then, there is a HP Recovery Manager window saying that "The restoration did not complete" and it gives you three options, "save log", "details" and "retry". Also there's a command prompt in the background with a few lines of text saying "The system cannot find the drive specified."

My best theory is that some OS files are missing or corrupted. So far, I have tried to redo the "factory reset," but it would say that it cannot be completed every time. There's no restore point I can go back to.

Interestingly, I can get past the aforementioned windows after doing a Ctrl+Alt+Del and signing out, which brings me to the Windows logon screen again, but this time lets me choose the user (Administrator). It then lets me logon as usual, without any problems, which is baffling ---some GUI features, e.g. the "ask me anything" box may not work though. So, this only happens when I first turn-on the computer and log onto Windows.

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Trouble logging onto Windows after failed OS factory reset
    « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 12:30:22 PM »
    Since you think OS files might be missing or corrupted, if you can logon to windows I would go to command prompt using run as administrator mode and do the dism command as shown in the screenshot below and wait until it's done.

Once that gets done do the sfc/scannow as shown in the screenshot below:

These should check system windows files to see if they're ok or not. Just to eliminate one more source of potential error

alexd0100

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Certifications: List
      • Experience: Experienced
      Issue is still unresolved
      « Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 03:11:40 PM »
      I did what you suggest. System files look fine.

I'm thinking of creating a system recovery disc or image on another computer and then trying to fix the broken one.

Do you have any other suggestions?