Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti -- Would it work?  (Read 2406 times)

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti -- Would it work?
« on: April 11, 2018, 12:14:23 PM »
Hi,

would it be possible to install a GTX 1050 ti in my system (see my current pc specs in my name, the PC currently has an Intel HD 530 and also the 240W PSU is the one that came with the pc when I bought it and the SSD drive I added later). The PC currently works fine, but I was just thinking of potentially (not sure if I really want to do it right now though) of upgrading the HD530 to a discrete graphics card after having seen the following video from PC Per since it seems like it can improve gaming without breaking the bank and NO, I will not upgrade or touch the PSU that is already in the system, seems like I don't have to anyway.

(youtube link below as well as an amazon link to what I believe is the graphics card that is featured in the video)

Would like other opinions! Thanks!

https://youtu.be/7myQLMSw5B8
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-1050-TI-4G/dp/B01M27X836

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti -- Would it work?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 04:06:57 PM »
Not with that PSU...no.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Rcundead

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 11:42:19 PM »
actually since you have an i3 6100 yes it would work just down the road i would recommend getting a beefier power supply

Accessless

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 11:50:41 PM »
Ditto on Patio's post. That PSU wouldn't last long if you tried it.

...and NO, I will not upgrade or touch the PSU that is already in the system, seems like I don't have to anyway...

Out of curiosity any particular reason for this stance?

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 10:54:39 AM »
So everyone's consensus is what?

Don't upgrade the the GPU unless I upgrade the PSU first?

Ditto on Patio's post. That PSU wouldn't last long if you tried it.

Out of curiosity any particular reason for this stance?

PC works fine now (nothing's broken), so wanted to minimize amount of stuff that I play with. Dell's OEM power supply appear to be proprietary kind, and I'd want to leave it at that.

It was just that Mr. Ryan Shrout of PCPer claims that all he did was add a new 1050 TI GPU (GPU has no extra 6 pin connector) to the base PC (same model, specs, brand as what I have currently and even his lisings corfirm it, eems like he bought it straight out of best buy and touched nothing else but to add the GPU) and it worked without a hitch)

Here is his official website's link --> https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Upgrade-Story-2-Using-GTX-1050-Ti-convert-OEM-PC-Gaming-PC <--

So was wondering if I could do the same too (except I have a SSD that holds the windows 10 OS in addition to the stock 1TB HHD)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 11:03:08 AM »
Dell PSU's stopped bein propietary years ago...what model and year is this rig ? ?

PS...doesn't matter the card has no 6 pin adapter...what matters is how much power it draws.

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 11:07:18 AM »
Dell PSU's stopped bein propietary years ago...what model and year is this rig ? ?

PS...doesn't matter the card has no 6 pin adapter...what matters is how much power it draws.

Ok. yes the card draws maximum 75 watts according to NVidia's official website and also the MFG date on the sticker on the side below the DELL Serve Tag number says 20160429 which seems to mean April 29, 1016 Manufacturing date that's all I know. (I think the official model number is I3650-1551SLV from google search)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:17:43 AM by 2x3i5x »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 11:13:25 AM »
Only you can decide that now...

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 11:19:22 AM »
Only you can decide that now...

Thanks for the help! People say it works, there's video to prove it but whether or not I'll do it, I'll have to figure that one out! :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 11:22:24 AM »
Best of Luck...keep us posted and Welcome Aboard...

And i wasn't saying not to do it...just stating i wouldn't.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 11:42:00 AM »
Here's a way to look at it.

The PSU rating is below the minimum requirements listed for the Graphics Card. I don't expect they pull those out of nowhere.

If you want to take the risk and install the Card. It might work. it might not. The PSU might fail right immediately and you don't get it to boot. Maybe a few months down the line, you'll find the system doesn't power on because the PSU failed. And in both cases that failure could take out other components of the system.

It is your risk to take. The consensus here is one of caution. Ryan from PCPer might have done it but he's also not going to buy you a new PC if something goes wrong trying to do the same thing.

PSU Upgrade is off the table anyway. I agree with your original assessment that the PSU is proprietary. (Dell Inspiron 3650) It looks like a TFX supply, but does not have standard connectors nor does the motherboard accept standard connectors, and you can only source *replacements* from Dell; not upgrades. And, those come with a high premium too ($50 or so for a used one!)- making the PSU failure possibility particularly problematic.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 05:57:55 PM »
Not quite sure where you determined the MBoard and PSU specs...that Model came in quite a few configurations and no details were given.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 07:15:49 PM »
From Reply #4, The system in the linked article was said to be the "same model, specs, brand".

When googling the Inspiron 3650 I didn't find any results which would suggest they had any variants which had a standard ATX motherboard or power supply. At least, not with the same model number.

It is, strictly speaking, possible to use an ATX power supply using an adapter like this one, but, an ATX Supply does not appear to be able to install into the case.

I would have expected manufacturers to have stopped doing this but I guess not. To Dell's credit, at least it's more obvious that it's unique, unlike their famous proprietary supplies from the early 2000's where the connections all looked the same but they arbitrarily changed the pinout in a way that would cause using an ATX supply to fry both the motherboard and the PSU.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.