Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC-100 Memory  (Read 2050 times)

Jmdlcar

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    PC-100 Memory
    « on: April 12, 2018, 11:25:28 PM »
    What CPU use PC-100 Memory? Which one 486 P1 P2 or P3? I have some and DDR to.
    I only ASK question if I don't know and I want to know.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PC-100 Memory
    « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 11:09:31 AM »
    PC-100 is mainly Pentium II and Pentium III systems with processors clocked at 50 and 100Mhz intervals such as Pentium II 450Mhz which use a 4.5 multiplier and a Pentium III 700Mhz would use a 7x multiplier. As well as AMD's CPU systems with similar clocked processors of the time. The first generation Pentium 4's I had used mostly PC-133 SDRAM such as my Pentium 4 1.7Ghz.

However if you have a Celeron processor you might be limited to a 66Mhz PC-66 RAM stick if an early socket 370 Celeron, however if a later Celeron that supports PC-100 or PC-133 RAM then you can use PC-100 or PC-133 **ONLY IF** the motherboard supports that CPU and RAM. Some low cost Celeron 500Mhz computers had motherboards that only supported PC-66 66Mhz SDRAM.

DDR RAM is the early AMD Athlon XP and Pentium 4 2nd generation forward. The last series of Pentium 4 with HT, some of them supported DDR2-533Mhz RAM in motherboards designed for DDR2 RAM.

486 computers used either SIMM or DIMM Memory the best board being a DIMM with EDO. SIMM RAM sticks for 486's are not very common they are first generation 486's and early boards as well as bargain boards where manufacturers tapped into the lower cost SIMM memory market to sell a 486 with lesser costing but also lesser performing RAM. Some of the aftermarket boards at the time gave choice of SIMM or DIMM RAM installation which gave option for making a low cost budget friendly 486 DX 33Mhz or AMD 486 equivalent CPU build or an extreme gaming rig using the same motherboard for lesser or greater performance with a 486 DX4 100Mhz etc.

Pentium 1 systems used mainly DIMM's and best to have EDO.

One memory type to mention that you dont have listed is the RAMBUS RDRAM memory that some systems used.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RDRAM

Jmdlcar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 02:06:24 PM »
      I need to find a Computer that won't have problem with Dos driver. The laptop have a the wrong type of sound card. I have a HP DC5750 computer that can take a add on sound card but it has to be a low profile PCI or PCI-Express type sound card but I am not sure if have Dos driver for it. If they do what brand of sound card will it be?

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 06:55:39 PM »
      If you want to play old games that require legacy Sound Blaster etc, its best to find an older computer and use that. Or use DOSBOX with modern computer in a virtual environment.

I havent run strictly DOS on any systems newer than a 486. In college around 2003 we used FreeDOS on a Packard Bell Cyrix MII 266Mhz system that was donated to the college and had to search around for cards that supported DOS drivers such as 3COM 10mbps ISA NIC, SoundBlaster 16 with CD-ROM combo Card but only used the sound part portion of it with jumpers set because it wasnt Plug-n-Pray such as this card here: http://www.esaitech.com/creative-labs-sound-blaster-16-bit-value-isa-sound-card-1.html?pk_campaign=ga-pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzryaxcO42gIV3IWzCh38IgpQEAYYAiABEgJtjPD_BwE

I've moved on from old school DOS games in DOS environment. I still have floppies going back 30 years with games on them but they are just collectables at this point because many games I bought in DOS collections/bundles that run on newer computers. Same thing goes for my old console systems I have them but just dont turn them on anymore and so they are just in storage in cool dry place to someday sell maybe or hand down to my daughter.

Friend of mine in Canada offered me a free working TRS-80 Model III and IBM 5150 because he is tired of moving them each time he moves to new apartments, but while I'd love to have them systems, they are 400 miles away and they would just take up space. I suggested that he sell them on ebay to get top dollar for them. He got $300 for the TRS-80 model III with software in like new condition and $200 for the IBM 5150 with 512k RAM and dual 5.25" 360k drives with CGA monitor and original keyboard with some software.

One other suggestion is that maybe there is a FreeCycle group in your area where you can post a WANT for a Pentium 1 or older computer for DOS. Someone might have one in storage that they would give away for free. I have picked up some great stuff for free such as a 27" SONY TV with no problems because someone upgraded to a flatscreen, treadmill with no problems because someone was moving and didnt sell it before moving so it was free, and I picked up a mountain bike and a all in one Canon printer for free that worked but the people giving it away didnt want to throw away good stuff, so its a recycle program in which instead of stuff going to landfills it goes to people who can use the stuff. https://www.freecycle.org/

Jmdlcar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 07:51:28 PM »
        I have DosBox for Linux but I don't play games. So some day will will find something to use.

Thanks for your time
        Jack

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 10:51:56 AM »