Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can I make my Windows 10 Laptop a gaming computer?  (Read 3470 times)

xXGokyXx

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    How can I make my Windows 10 Laptop a gaming computer?
    « on: April 13, 2018, 03:08:38 PM »
    So basically I have a Windows 10 Laptop. It is good for most of the things I want to do but it isn't very fast. I want to be able to render things faster, load things faster, etc. I was thinking that I could get a new, much better beefy computer then somehow connect my laptop to it.

The general idea is that I want my computer to be faster, I am not completely sure how I would do this.

If you have any clue on how to do this, who I should ask, or what this would be called please reply.

*(I am not looking to transfer my current computers info to a better computer, rather I am looking to transfer the computer power of a better computer to my current laptop.)*

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How can I make my Windows 10 Laptop a gaming computer?
    « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 07:07:39 PM »
    Knowing what you have for a laptop make/model would help, as well as specs if you have upgraded anything to be different from when it was purchased? Additionally what games do you want to run and what frame rate expectation do you have?

Some laptops you can replace their CPU's with a better CPU buying used mobile CPU off of ebay and as long as the TDP is similar and other models using that same main board support the better CPU you can sometimes upgrade.

RAM amount increased can also make faster as well as a SSD upgrade to replace that old slow 5400RPM Hard Drive.

But as far as GAMES go.... Unless the laptop supports adding a mobile video card as an upgrade path, the frame rate of games isnt going to be much better.

Laptops generally have short life cycles for gamers as for the GPUs in most of them are what causes them to get set to the side and a newer laptop replacing it. So a desktop computer is always better for people who game and have a tight budget as for you can get a $40 video card for a desktop computer and make a 10 year old desktop computer play some modern games pretty well.

Most people find themselves having to replace the laptop because it doesnt meet the system requirements for whatever software or games they want to run. And while you can optimize a system to be more efficient to gain performance with exception to load times quicker for games on systems running with SSD drives, editing a systems services etc to minimize wasted CPU cycles and memory might only give a 5% performance boost. So someone who is running benchmarks and looking to get a higher score than others with same make/model laptop might go in and reduce the amount of stuff the computer has to run to make it less loaded down to be slightly faster.

But speed and memory cant be just downloaded to a computer. There are limitations to all hardware and systems, as well as most laptops dont have ability to overclock them to push for 10% better performance etc.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 07:36:49 PM »
    (I am not looking to transfer my current computers info to a better computer, rather I am looking to transfer the computer power of a better computer to my current laptop.)*

This makes no sense...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 10:20:42 PM »
    Small improvements in computer power has little impact of the average user.
    Big data centers seldom upgrade their computers except to increase storage.
    The way technology is  advancing, you have to buy a new computer every five years.
    Not to get ahead, just to keep up.  :o

https://www.lifewire.com/upgrade-or-replace-desktop-pc-832712
    Upgrade or Replace A Desktop PC?

xXGokyXx

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 02:09:10 PM »
      Basically looking for a external buff CPU for my laptop.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 05:40:39 PM »
      Basically looking for a external buff CPU for my laptop.
      Give it up!
      They do not make external CPU things for stock laptops.! Not really.
      However, if you  are a fanatic you can use a super Desktop to run game programs and use your laptop as an remove console.
      For your benefit, here is how the question was considered some time ago on another forum; Tom's Hardware.
      http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/307653-28-external-processor-laptop
      Read it overt and see it says what I said, just talks longer to read.

The high sped games require powerful graphics, powerful CPU and fast memory.  About the only thing that your laptop has to offer is a clunky keyboard and a slow display. Laptop and not designed to play games.

Okay, allow me to make a very simplistic illustration.
      Let's say you have a motorscooter and you are not happy with its acceleration and top speed. What you really want is a top-of-the-line Harvey Davis. But instead, you want and external unit to improve deceleration and top speed of your motorscooter. So the first thing you have to do is stabilize your motorscooter by converting it into a three creel device so that it will flip over. Then after that you by a for  Corvette and hook your motorscooter to the front bumper of the three are Corvette. Next you have to hire a race driver 2 Drive the Court said while you sit on your motorscooter upfront.
      Now then, does that sound ridiculous? Yes, that is absolutely absurd. Likewise trying to turn a laptop into a gaming computer is like pushing a motorscooter with the Corvette. Do you see my point?  8)

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 08:42:36 PM »
      What your looking for is unrealistic and doesnt exist for laptops. Unless your replacing the main board with one from another similar design laptop and also making custom fabrications and electronic connections, its not gonna happen. Its easier to get a different laptop altogether that meets your needs.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 12:57:28 PM »
      The closest thing you can do is - if your laptop is even capable of supporting it- get an External GPU case. This will require a Thunderbolt 3 Port. You can then "upgrade" the graphics capabilities by added a Graphics Card to the external enclosure.

Outside of actually upgrading the CPU however you cannot "donate" the hardware capabilities of a desktop and have them utilized directly by a laptop.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.