Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Advice on disabling all startup  (Read 2776 times)

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Advice on disabling all startup
    « on: April 16, 2018, 12:51:13 PM »
    My computer:  Dell Intel i-5-4460
                           CPU @ 3.20 GHz
                           RAM 88 GB
                           64-bit

I play a game on Facebook called Bejeweled. Every now and then I buy coins from them to continue to play.  They have a 1/2 off sale on Fridays, and this Friday I went to buy some coins and when I clicked on the little plus sign, a box comes up and says "Waiting for Server Response".  It would never let me buy coins.  So I emailed the Facebook or Bejeweled people and got a response that they were having trouble, however, some people have corrected the problem by emptying their history, so I did that. No difference.  Now they are telling me to do this and before I do this, I wanted to ask if you guys thought this was a way to fix the problem.  I'm a little skeptical.

Start - misconfig
    Go to System Configuration
    Hit Services Tab
    Click box Hide All Microsoft Services, Disable All
    Go to Startup Tab and click on open Task Manager
    Click each of the Startup Programs in the list and click Disable Button
    Close Task Manager
    Click Okay on  System Configuration and restart my computer.
    Then get on the game and see if that worked.

Seems to me (and you guys know I don't know computers) if I disable all on startup, I will get nothing when my computer restarts.  Should I do all this?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Advice on disabling all startup
    « Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 02:35:41 PM »
    Except for the task manager part (which makes no sense if you're rebooting), they're asking you to do a selective startup. There's no harm in doing so, but you can just as easily either boot to safe mode with networking or, even better, try a different browser.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: Advice on disabling all startup
      « Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 04:42:45 PM »
      Yeah, I've tried Google Chrome and I even "fixed" my laptop to see if it was doing the same thing.  They are doing the same thing.  So I am assuming it is a problem with the people that have that game on Facebook.  Comcast is my server and I have a friend who got through and could buy her coins with Comcast, so I guess my server is not the problem.