Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External hard drive issues  (Read 3045 times)

concretesnowflake

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    External hard drive issues
    « on: April 19, 2018, 12:11:45 PM »
    Hi Guys
    Not sure if this is in the right place but its a pretty complex problem.

So there's a bit of background to this. I have been asked to organise a lot of files from different sources on to an external hard drive (formatted to accept Windows 10). The files were given to me on a 500gb hard drive with a lot space still available. I was then given a second hard drive (formatted to accept Mac files) again with a lot of space still available. I backed up both of these hard drives onto each other. So I had about 250gb of data on both hard drives. In order to merge these files properly and editable into one external hard drive, I formatted a third 1tb hard drive to ExFat. Copied all the files onto the hard drive from ONE of the back ups. Started organising the files into folders. Moving the files and not copying. Deleting duplicated files and empty folders. Went to add some more files downloaded from Google Drive to the hard drive, totally expecting there to be plenty of space. At least 500gb should have been available. However there is 931gb of spaced used and only 231mb available. How has this happened? I checked to see if there were any hidden files and there was a recycle bin folder thats full. But as I haven't even gone though an 8th of the hard drive I really don't think there should be 400gb of data in there. I'm wary of deleting those files just in case it corrupts the hard drive. Also two people in the office have full trash bins from my deleting of duplicated files and I don't understand how that has happened as we aren't networked. Plus I'm using a Windows 10 machine and they are using Macs. I'm probably missing something very obvious but I'm really flummoxed.
    Further to this, it seems not all the files migrated to the ExFat hard drive. So now have to move over the back up files again. But obviously can't do this until there's room on the hard drive. I've now tried doing a disk clean up, and checking the folder sizes against the back up hard drive. The folders are 27.3gb, 100gb, and 5.33gb on the back up they add up to 280gb . There are now no hidden files on the hard drive yet the capacity is still being shown as 900gb used. Something is lurking on this hard drive but I really can't figure out what. The files were put on the hard drive using a mac and I understand that could cause issues. The 2 back up hard drives are both formatted to Mac.
    I thought I had this challenge all figured out. Simple process of formatting a hard drive to ExFat, moving files from two hard drives into it and then organising the files within the hard drive, then downloading the google drive documents to the new filing system. I'm now having issues downloading from google drive.
    What should have taken 2 weeks maximum has taken 2 months! Any advice to fix any of these issues would be very much appreciated. Or maybe an alternate way of achieving the result I need.

Salmon Trout

Re: External hard drive issues
    « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 03:57:50 PM »
    First thing I would do is install TreeSize Free on a computer and attach the drives to that computer and use TreeSize to analyse just what you have on each drive.

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

concretesnowflake

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 03:51:48 AM »
      I have completed the treesize thing

concretesnowflake

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 03:52:49 AM »
        how you can see from the properties its still not showing where nearly 800gb of storage has gone

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 09:05:13 AM »
        Was this drive ever used with Linux to where there is something there that Windows cant see that Linux could maybe? Boot a Linux distro on this system and look at the drive to see what contents are there. This can be done using a bootable DVD or USB drive to boot that computer into Linux environment. Then whatever is hidden should be in plain view. Additionally I assume you already went in and set it to display hidden files/folders in windows to show all?

Lastly, someone elses data can reside on the drive in a space that you dont have access to due to permissions. If you delete the partitions off of the drive and create new you can force out other peoples data.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 09:49:34 AM »
        I still don't understand the goal of merging Win and Mac files onto 1 HDD...for what purpose ?

Also since it's the largest directory what is Listen ? ?...is that an app you used to do this ? ?....More info.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

concretesnowflake

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 11:31:29 AM »
          Listen is just a name we gave the hard drive, so that we could tell the various folders apart. We need to merge the two hard drives so all the files our client has can be accessed easily without plugging in various hard drives.
          As far as i know the hard drive was never used with linux and there are definitely no partitions. I checked this before formatting the hard drive to ExFat. 

We have purchased a fourth hard drive. And I have formatted to ExFat and checked that there are no partitions or hidden files and it all looks good so far. I'll be copying the files from the original back ups so that corruption or other issues are limited.

I have suggested moving all the files to google drive but the client is adamant that they are to go on an external hard drive.

concretesnowflake

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 11:34:35 AM »
            The first thing I did when I realised something was wrong was to reveal all hidden files. There was some 50gb worth of files hidden. But still doesn't explain the 400gb lurking somewhere.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 11:47:07 AM »
            Well there are in fact partitions....treesize reports it as a 133G drive...However in the 2nd screenshot it's a 1TB HDD from what i can see cause 2 other windows are blocked...so whatever you did setting it up thats likely where your missing space is.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 11:49:31 AM »
            Post a pic of Disk Management for the HDD...make sure the window is fully expanded.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 11:50:38 AM »
            Post a pic of Disk Management for the HDD...make sure the window is fully expanded.
            +++++1