Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Do I have Password fatigue? What can I do?  (Read 2093 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Do I have Password fatigue? What can I do?
« on: April 14, 2018, 04:29:51 PM »
This subject is not at all new. But to date there does not seem to be a easy way to avoid this malady. Maybe I have it. I spend too much time trying to simply my passwords and I am forgetting which goes with what.
Reference:
Password fatigue: mandatory changes may do more harm than good
Most office drones have had to deal with a job that requires them to keep changing their passwords l...
But according to the US Federal Trade Commission's chief technologist, Lorrie Cranor, the strategy has some major holes.
"Unless there is reason to believe a password has been compromised or shared, requiring regular password changes may actually do more harm than good in some cases," Dr Cranor wrote ...
That point is supported by research Dr Cranor conducted at Carnegie Mellon University. It found that users who felt the institution's password policy was annoying came up with passwords that were 46 per cent more likely to be guessed than those who supported frequent password changes.
That sounds like me. I end up using passwords I can remember.
What is the cure? Should I buy robot and have it remember ty passwords?  :-\

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Do I have Password fatigue? What can I do?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 09:11:46 PM »
I just write them in a small notebook as well as have them scrambled requiring a key to unscramble when in electronic form look up. Also been using same password for 8 years on my desktops at home for local logon so easy to remember.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Do I have Password fatigue? What can I do?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 12:54:23 PM »
I use browsers to save password information. I generate new passwords for new sites and record them in a text file for future reference.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.