Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 10 Tablet - Command Shell with Touch Screen  (Read 2494 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Win 10 Tablet - Command Shell with Touch Screen
« on: April 20, 2018, 09:29:10 AM »
Just bought one of these tablets specifically because it has an x86 Intel Atom Z3735F 1.33 GHz with Intel Burst Technology up to 1.83 GHz CPU in it to have command shell functionality in a tablet form and I was able to bring up command shell and get to the prompt but then, the tablet has no smarts in it to know that you just opened a command shell and so a keyboard should be brought up on the screen to be able to give instructions.  ::)

Was wondering if anyone knows of a solution to this for Windows 10 tablets where people want to enter information in command shell?

I have a bluetooth keyboard that I got connected to it and then I was able to use a keyboard to run instructions in the command shell but other than that, i am not sure how to summon the touch screen keypad/keyboard to be able to enter stuff into command shell window... :(

Tapping on the shell window and on the border of the window etc doesnt give any options. I guess Microsoft never thought that people with tablets might actually want to enter stuff into command shell window -or- they assumed that people would just connect a bluetooth keyboard.  ::)

Here is the tablet I bought for $68 on amazon with my prime membership and a discount.
https://www.amazon.com/NuVision-High-Definition-Touchscreen-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B01N6HD4IE/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1524237828&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=nuvision+10.1+tablet&psc=1&smid=A3JS2199GQLB8L

Of the 32GB storage there is 6GB free which is tight, but I am going to add a 64GB microSD Card to it to extend the storage capacity of it. Its not the fastest device but thats to be expected of a tablet running Windows 10 that only cost $68 and Intel Atom CPU's aren't fast anyways. Its not as sluggish as my $30 Emerson brand Android quadcore tablet though. The biggest reason for getting it was that i wanted x86 execution portability in tablet form as well as a low power consumption Windows 10 environment which it is. But it would be nice to not have to lug a keyboard along with it as for if I was going to do that I would have bought a tablet with a folding or detachable keyboard.

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Win 10 Tablet - Command Shell with Touch Screen
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 12:47:38 PM »
You should be able to set an option to have the on screen keyboard icon display on the taskbar so you can tap it whenever needed.  Right-click on the Taskbar and check the option "Show touch keyboard button".

Computer_Commando

Hacker

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
Re: Win 10 Tablet - Command Shell with Touch Screen
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 05:18:14 PM »
Thanks Strollin that fixed it  :)

As per returning it for the other model that computer_commando suggested, price was too good to pass up at just $68 with a discount that I got, and the other one you have linked here is about $130. I have a laptop and a netbook that I can use if I need to type a lot etc, but just having an x86 tablet that can run programs I wrote and other Windows based stuff is all I really need, and now that the command shell. At some point I will learn to write apps for android etc, but the command shell of windows and ability to run a vast variety of scripts and compiled code for me is much more powerful than the limitations of android ARM processor tablets and phones.