Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sharing Music  (Read 3433 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Sharing Music
« on: April 19, 2018, 11:36:16 PM »
So I come from the days when if you wanted to share a bunch of music, with songs put together in a logical order, you made a mix tape.

Just so you know what you're dealing with....

My wife has asked me to put together some music for a work event.

I put together a pretty crack playlist in iTunes and put it on her iPod, figuring she'd plug it into a boombox or Bluetooth(tm) speaker during the event.

That's when I learned it wasn't an "event" in the sense that it starts and stops at a certain time in a certain place - she wants some music to get (and keep) people inspired over a long-ish haul. In several locations.

So I could burn CDs. But not all of their PCs have CD players!

I know people share playlists on Spotify all the time. Trouble is, some of the songs on the list are not on Spotify!!!

What suggestions might anyone else have?

Thanks!
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
Re: Sharing Music
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 10:58:40 PM »
But you guys have opinions on everything!

The overwhelming silence says to me my choice is to either sacrifice my artistic vision and use Spotify, or deny my wife's colleagues entirely.

You're right, my vision is more important than their entertainment.

Unless anyone has better ideas?

Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 11:13:01 PM »
Your post has been read. Lack of response can be due to:
A. You problem was hard to understand.
OR
B. Nobody yet has a good answer.
OR
C. It takes time for many  members to chicken. They live in other time zones.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 12:14:54 AM »
It takes time for many  members to chicken.
Personally I require 7 days written notice before I turn into a chicken.  A single day might work- I'd try to wing it, though I might bock and the prospect.

Anyway I didn't reply because the original question seems like a "What's the best way to pirate music?" question.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 12:42:13 PM »
Personally I require 7 days written notice before I turn into a chicken.

Last time I did that it turned into a clustercluck.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 12:48:34 PM »
Anyway I didn't reply because the original question seems like a "What's the best way to pirate music?" question.

Yes. Mixtapes were technically illegal. So are their digital successors, I believe. I remember when dual-cassette-deck boomboxes and hi-fi units started selling in Britain in the 1980s, the British Phonographic Industry (a trade group) tried to get them banned, then when that failed, they lobbied for a tax (paid to them) then had to settle for pushing out an ad campaign, widely ridiculed, saying "Home taping is killing music".

I feel so old, because I actually remember "Don't copy that floppy"... (1992)...

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 12:58:01 PM »
 ;D
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 01:20:39 PM »
Personally, I think you're all showing a great deal of pluck by responding in this thread.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 01:25:39 PM »
Be glad you didn't turn into a Turducken...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 04:38:08 PM »
May I say something serious?
If a group of people think they have a real need for using copyright music and if they can demonstrate prudent use of the permission, there arfe legal ways to do it without paying a huge license fee.
See here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_licensing
The neutrality of this article is disputed. Relevant discussion may be found on the talk page. Please do not remove this message until conditions to do so are met. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The article does goon to outline some things that are legal.
Broadcasting, in the context of music licensing, means the playback of recorded or live music for groups of people beyond what might be normally expected in a social setting. Legal claims are filed frequently against bookstores, bars, and live music venues that broadcast music without first obtaining a performance license.
The music broadcast in grocery stores and elevators is a service purchased from one of many organizations that offer it (the largest is Muzak). Part of the fee paid for the service is used to cover licensing costs. Except in very narrowly defined circumstances, noted below under the Section 110 "small business exception," a business, restaurant, or store that plays radio broadcasts or shows TV programs in the premises does not pay a licensing fee.
and...
Section 110 exemptions
Section 110 sets out eleven situations in which performance of a work, including broadcast, "are not infringements of copyright" [18] The major exemptions are outlined in paragraphs 1 to 5. Paragraphs 1 and 2 cover face-to-face instruction, or "distance learning," in non-profit educational settings. Paragraph 3 applies to performance or display in religious settings as part of a worship service. Paragraph 4 applies to non-dramatic literary or musical works (but not plays or video) performed by non-profit groups such as a community band or orchestra. Paragraph 5 is the "small business" exemption.
Granted, the Wikipedia. article has some rough sports it gives you a guide for  what you want in a Google search.

IMHO, Any small group pf people meeting without commercial motives e can lawfully listen to copyright muse.
Examples:
  Some colleges campus usage.
  Research or education use
  Girl Scouts can  use copyright songs..
In August 1996, The Wall Street Journal published a frontpage article, "Ascap Cautions the Girl Scouts: Don't Sing 'God Bless America,'" describing the scene at Diablo Day Camp in Lafayette, California, as a troupe of Girl Scouts danced to the Macarena in silence for fear of copyright infringement.[36] A public relations situation for ASCAP occurred, as the video performance of Girl Scouts silently dancing made its way onto mainstream news.
ASCAP confronted the Girl Scouts because of the Copyright Act of 1909, which established that any song used in public performance would be able to receive royalties.[37] The Wall Street Journal describes the law as this: "The law defines a public performance as 'where a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances is gathered.'"
The Wikipedia article above has more detail about these examples. Check the references for even more.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 07:27:19 PM »
I'm reasonably certain that a mix tape is considered "fair use". (Around the time of PMRC they tried to put a tax on blank cassettes, I don't know if that was going into a fund for artists or just another levy.)

Since sharing Spotify lists is an actual Thing, I'm also reasonably certain that's also fair use.

I'm guessing that, while it may technically fall under something similar that says you're not supposed to play a store-bought DVD on an oil rig without paying royalties, my sharing music with my wife's non-profit lab is not 100 percent kosher - but it's probably 99 44/100 percent pure. I would be happy to kick in to the RIAA or ASCAP, but I'm sure it would be a poultry amount.

As I have been seeking (and sometimes offering) assistance on this Board for over a decade, and I don't think I've ever once posted a "How do I bootleg something" post, I'm going to suggest that I have not flown the coop on this one, and you can presume innocent intent.

When I put together the list of appropriate music from my (purchased) library of over 2,100 records and 1,000 CDs, I found some songs that weren't on Spotify.

So I was wondering what other ways people shared music with their peeps.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 07:41:07 PM »
As I have been seeking (and sometimes offering) assistance on this Board for over a decade, and I don't think I've ever once posted a "How do I bootleg something" post, I'm going to suggest that I have not flown the coop on this one, and you can presume innocent intent.

rj we weren't insuniating that at all...and i understand.

It's just that the Forums have always had a strong policy of not gettin into copyright issues...be it software music movies or whatever.

If we took the time to look at each instance the time explaining legal issues alone that would be a waste.

I'm comfortable with our approach of erring on the side of caution... Hope that explains things a bit.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 07:54:58 PM »
Yeah, I just don't have any friends to ask. They are all either, "what's physical media?" or "how do you get music on that series of tubes?". I wasn't trying to egg anybody on.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 07:56:03 PM »
If we are talking U.S Law, the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992 is why Mix tapes are legal as fair use, but the wording of the act means it only applies to Analog recordings. For digital recordings, the only equivalent is a CD-R that was sold as a "Music" disc (they have an added tax, apparently). Anything else (in terms of music distribution) is not legally fair use- you cannot (legally) burn MP3's to a DVD and give it to somebody,  for example, or fill a flash drive or MP3 player or put files on a cloud drive and share it with others or anything. (You can share playlists on streaming services, of course, since you aren't actually distributing any copyright content).

Those responsible for enforcing and protecting copyright for Music labels don't usually care about "intent" or "good faith" actions, either; Remember they are the same folks who sued elderly grandmothers who had no Internet at all for millions of dollars in damages for "pirating music".

As another example, let's take your specific situation. You aren't allowed to say take the music you've got in MP3 format and say compress it and put it on a cloud drive or flash drive to allow others to access it. That would be illegal and I would totally not encourage it.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 11:03:20 AM »
If we are talking U.S Law

The UK High Court ruled in June 2015 that making a single copy of a song you bought on iTunes is illegal, and hardly anyone noticed.

The ruling is bizarre, from the consumer's point of view. It states that consumers do not have a right to make any type of copy of music they have bought, even if it's only for their own personal use.

That mixtape playlist you just burned for your girlfriend? Totally illegal in Britain.