Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CATC Netmate HELP PLEASE!!  (Read 15844 times)

codym66

CATC Netmate HELP PLEASE!!
« on: August 04, 2004, 01:13:01 AM »
Hi everyone,

Well, I decided to reformat my computer after 5 years, and I cannot get on the internet anymore (on my Mom's computer right now). I have High Speed Cable internet, with a little external ethernet port, which is where my problem lies.

I cannot install the driver for this CATC Netmate ethernet thingie.

I went to my Internet provider and got the CD with all the drivers needed, and proceeded with driver installation. It gets about halfway through and it then tells me I have to have 'Windows 98 2nd edition' in my CD-ROM.

Sooooooooo, I hunt one of those down, and it proceeds to tell me that it cannot find a file called

secur32.dll

on the CD, so I come here and download this file from the internet, and bring it back to my other computer to try and put on there, as I try and put it into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEMS it tells me it's already there (they are different sized files also), and it won't take this file directly from the floppy disc, it will wait thirty seconds and tell me 'cannot find source disc'.

Can someone please help me out, I'm going through internet denial!!!

Thank you!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: CATC Netmate HELP PLEASE!!
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 01:32:32 AM »
    codym66....ok.....first what operating system do you have installed on your pc ? Next if you go into the control panel ....and select system , then network adapters do you see the ethernet card listed there ?
    And can you clarify .....you refer to a external ethernet thing ?  Dont you have a pci card in your computer which you plug the cat45 cable into ...from the HS modem ?

let us know
    dl65  ???
    « Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 01:36:40 AM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

codym66

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 01:35:37 AM »
    I have Windows 98 (2nd edition I'm guessing, thats what it's asking for), im not sure on the second one though, I will have to run to my other house and check and reply tomorrow (hopefully tonight)

codym66

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 01:42:28 AM »
    Oh yes, my Ethernet thing is external from my computer, I do not have an ethernet card and I believe a cable runs from my Cable Modem to this Ethernet thing, which runs to my computer through a USB cable

So the path would look like this

Cable -> Cable Modem -> Ethernet Cable -> External Ethernet Port -> USB Cable -> Computer

I THINK!! (not sure, but will verify when I check the other thing)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 01:47:36 AM »
      codym66.....possibly the reason that the file you downloaded is larger than the one on Win98 SE is that the original has been updated .  Have you tried to open your A drive(floppy) and copied the file to clipboard then go into wherever the existing file is .......C:windows/system I think you said and paste it in.   leave the original there just in case ......

let us know
      dl65  ???
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

codym66

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 01:54:32 AM »
      The one I downloaded is smaller (Old:40kb compared to New:24kb) and when I open up my A: drive, it's a hidden file.  So I don't think I can rename it (And if I rename it, won't the computer recognize it as not being there??)

It seems like my computer is telling me to give up almost  :(

This whole thing is very frustrating I find!!

Your help is greatly appreciated though, and keep it coming PRETTY PLEASE! :)

madmax0690

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 11:53:11 AM »
      Cody,

1st things 1st.

you have 2 options:

1) buy a network card for 10 dollars and get rid uf the CATC USB convertor (quickest and easiest) :)
      _or_
      go to the CATC site and go to software downloads(on right side of page) and download the file for Win98(about 817 KB) this will fit on a floppy.

Copy this file into a directory called CATChub and uncompress.

Next delete the CATC hub from your hardware and disconnect it.

Then reboot.

After your system comes up reconnect the CATC hub, when win98 recognizes the device point the program to directory you copied the files from the floppy. See above.

then connect your hub to your modem, you should be all set.

codym66

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 01:25:58 AM »
      Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOO much, even though my computer made it slightly more complicated then it should've been (I didn't have winzip, and I guess my computer didn't feel like copying things from a floppy, so I had to burn a CD)

A million thanks to you!

Mikewb56

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 09:32:43 AM »
      YW....madmax is my A+ instructor and we are using this sight as a training tool. Kewl huh. Good luck on all.