Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How AMD and Inell team up  (Read 1922 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
How AMD and Inell team up
« on: April 25, 2018, 11:34:38 PM »
The is not recent news. But new to me, maybe you too.
Here are some items that show Intel and AMD are working together to keep others away from a big part of the desktop and mobile device market.
Back in 2017:
Intel and AMD team up against Nvidia to produce a new laptop chip
Rivals Intel and Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) are teaming up to produce a laptop computer chip that uses an Intel processor and an AMD graphics unit. The partnership will pit the two companies against competitor Nvidia. The new chip will be made for laptops that are designed to be thin and portable, but still powerful enough for gamers who need a stronger option to play intensive games. It’ll be part of Intel’s eighth-generation Intel Core line and marks Intel and AMD’s first partnership since the 1980s, as The Wall Street Journal notes.
This year:
Intel and AMD announce first Core i5 and i7 chips with Radeon .
Back in November, longtime rivals Intel and AMD shocked the computing world when the two companies announced that they’d be teaming up to create laptop chips that combined Intel’s Core line of processors with AMD’s Radeon graphics.
And now at CES 2018, the first fruits of that partnership have been revealed, in the form of a pair of Intel Core i5 and i7 chips powered by discrete AMD Radeon RX Vega M GPUs. Along with the processor and GPU, each unit also has 4GB of HMB2 VRAM onboard, which Intel says should help drastically save space internally for laptops while increasing battery life.
So coming soon Intel CPU with AMD graphics. Hard to believe!  ;D
EDIT: Here is the Wall Street Journal article:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/rivals-intel-and-amd-team-up-on-pc-chips-to-battle-nvidia-1509966064
Checkout the video.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: How AMD and Inell team up
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 12:49:17 PM »
It's interesting that Intel already does their own GPU's with their INTEL HD Graphics that they implement in many of their APU's. I guess instead of engineering a higher end performance GPU they are taking a cost shortcut by buying into AMD's already existing GPU design I guess.