Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 operating systems  (Read 3108 times)

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    2 operating systems
    « on: April 26, 2018, 10:37:23 AM »
    I want to put 2 operating systems (Windows 7, Windows 10), But I don't know which one should I start with, Should I install Windows 7 first then Windows 10 to get it work correctly ? I don't know but you can help me pls

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: 2 operating systems
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 11:39:19 AM »
    This is the best I can do for now.  :)

Partition the hard drive into two pr more partitions. I would recommend at least four partitions if the hard drive is more that 120 GB.
    For Widows 7 it is best to use a MBR type partition and legacy BIOS. But if you are using the 64 bit version of Windows 7 you can try using the GPT and UEFI  settings

You may wish to read this:
    https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/u/uefi.htm
    Short for Unified Extensible Firmware, UEFI is an upgrade for the traditional computer BIOS that Intel started developing as EFI. UEFI is a update that includes improved boot times, better security, and better support for hardware found in today's computers.

The GPT is a hard drive setup  associated with the UEFI. The 32 bit version of Windows 7 does not use it.**  Reference:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-installing-using-the-mbr-or-gpt-partition-style

After you have installed Windows 7 and got it to work. install Windows 10 on another partition. Windows 10 will build a suitable menu to let ;you choose which partition to use at boot up time. Shingling between systems always requires a reboot.

If you need more help, come back here and somebody will help you.

** Nat strictly true, *censored* I will not even try to explain it. You can use Windows 7 32 bit on a GPT, but you will go crazy trying to do it.  ::)
    « Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:52:51 AM by Geek-9pm »

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 04:11:19 PM »
      This is the best I can do for now.  :)

Partition the hard drive into two pr more partitions. I would recommend at least four partitions if the hard drive is more that 120 GB.
      For Widows 7 it is best to use a MBR type partition and legacy BIOS. But if you are using the 64 bit version of Windows 7 you can try using the GPT and UEFI  settings

You may wish to read this:
      https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/u/uefi.htm
      The GPT is a hard drive setup  associated with the UEFI. The 32 bit version of Windows 7 does not use it.**  Reference:
      https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-installing-using-the-mbr-or-gpt-partition-style

After you have installed Windows 7 and got it to work. install Windows 10 on another partition. Windows 10 will build a suitable menu to let ;you choose which partition to use at boot up time. Shingling between systems always requires a reboot.

If you need more help, come back here and somebody will help you.

** Nat strictly true, *censored* I will not even try to explain it. You can use Windows 7 32 bit on a GPT, but you will go crazy trying to do it.  ::)

I have Windows 7 64-bit right now, Here is a screenshot and tell me What should I do :)... :
      http://prntscr.com/jal58t

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 12:03:06 AM »
      This is from dictation.
      Here in California it's time for me to go to bed. So I am going to do this with the voice dictation because I am a very slow typist and I have a hard time cracking my spelling errors. So any errors you see in this dictation are from the voice recognition software.
      First of all, you are using Windows 7 64-bit and that means you're already off to a good start. Windows 7 64-bit has no trouble dealing with a GPT partition scheme. Actually, it can go either way with no problem. So you don't need to pay much attention to what I had to say about the GPT issue.
      The proper sequence for putting Windows 10 and Windows 7 on the same computer is to start with Windows 7, which you already have. You need open up some disk space and your screenshot shows that you have two discs labeled disk 0 and disk 1. Obviously, the system boots up from the desk zero. Here's what you can do:
      Make space on disk 1, which is the second disc in your system. You can use a tool like the Mini Tool partition Wizard to open up some free space at the beginning of the disk. Normally one would put them operating system at the beginning or outer edge of the disc and not on the inside. However, it will work either way. The Mimi-Tool partition Wizard will allow you to move the partition in either direction either to the left or to the right. Moving a partition to the right will free up some unused space at the beginning of the drive.
      You can install Windows 7 on the second drive in your system and it will automatically modify the boot loader that is on disk 0, the first driving your system. I think you said You  had Vista t on your system. You can either install Windows 7 on top of the other  operating system or you can choose to install Windows 7 on the second drive.(Or the first drive, if you wish.)
      Windows 7 will work perfectly well with the partition of 80 GB, and it works quite well even with much less. You should make sure that you have Windows 7 up and running first before you attempt to install Windows 10.
      Again, you must have some space available to install Windows 10. Windows 10 can be installed almost anywhere you want to on the disk, but there is a preference to install it near the beginning of the disk if possible.

Once you have a suitable amount of space open up you can shut down the machine and reboot with your boot media that has the installation program for Windows 10.

Bear in mind that during the installation process the disk drives may not be correctly identified by drive letter. So you should have some other way to identify which partition is which. Using appropriate Label Names  helps a lot. Also, the size of the partition can be helpful, but it's not always accurate. One utility might show that you have an 80 GB partition, but another utility mycologist 79.5 GB partition. That's a common problem and can cause confusion. That is why you want to use labels instead of depending just on the drive letter or the size of the partition.
      I assume you have backups of any important data you need. The many to partition Wizard ours works good for me, but there's always the possibility that you could damage the partition it already has data on it, so proceed with caution.

I am not sure of what you're particular scheme is, but you may wish to have all your operating systems on the first driving your system. The work if there's enough drive space for each operating system. I found for my own experience that you can allocate as little as 40 GB to any the current Windows operating systems and it will install just fine. The trick then is to put. Library's of photos, videos and music onto one of your other drives and identified them as your libraries for the user that you normally use. This is one way to take full advantage of the disk space you have and yet have several operating systems on one huge hard drive. Done properly, you could share the libraries across more than one operating system in most cases. It is more of a hassle when using an older operating system like Windows XP.
      If you restrict yourself to using just Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 10 a version, you shouldn't have any foreseeable problems with disk management.
      I hope this of the some help to you. I need to get to bed now
      End of dictation.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 07:49:24 AM »
      Easiest installation if this is a desktop computer would be to use 2 hard drives. Connect one drive and install Windows 7. Then disconnect that drive while leaving it in the desktop computer case and connect the second hard drive and install Windows 10. When done shutdown the computer and connect both drives. One of them, usually the one at the lowest SATA port such as SATA0 would be the default boot drive. If you want to boot to a different drive you can use the F9 key at boot to select an alternate boot device in which you can select the other hard drive and boot the other OS.

Ever since the BIOS bootable device choice option came into the picture, I have used this means of multiple boot systems vs trying to get 2 or more OS to work in harmony on a single drive. The only combinations that work flawless for me on the same drive is when Linux and Windows on a single drive in which I install Windows to a small partition of the drive leaving a set amount large enough for Linux to be installed with some extra room for adding programs and Data that only Linux would have access to, and then after Windows is installed then install Linux at which Linux does a very good job at detecting Windows being present and gives you the ability to make a dual boot system with Grub boot loader in control of what OS is booted by user at boot where you have a choice selection with a timeout to default boot etc.

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 10:57:42 AM »
        This is from dictation.
        Here in California it's time for me to go to bed. So I am going to do this with the voice dictation because I am a very slow typist and I have a hard time cracking my spelling errors. So any errors you see in this dictation are from the voice recognition software.
        First of all, you are using Windows 7 64-bit and that means you're already off to a good start. Windows 7 64-bit has no trouble dealing with a GPT partition scheme. Actually, it can go either way with no problem. So you don't need to pay much attention to what I had to say about the GPT issue.
        The proper sequence for putting Windows 10 and Windows 7 on the same computer is to start with Windows 7, which you already have. You need open up some disk space and your screenshot shows that you have two discs labeled disk 0 and disk 1. Obviously, the system boots up from the desk zero. Here's what you can do:
        Make space on disk 1, which is the second disc in your system. You can use a tool like the Mini Tool partition Wizard to open up some free space at the beginning of the disk. Normally one would put them operating system at the beginning or outer edge of the disc and not on the inside. However, it will work either way. The Mimi-Tool partition Wizard will allow you to move the partition in either direction either to the left or to the right. Moving a partition to the right will free up some unused space at the beginning of the drive.
        You can install Windows 7 on the second drive in your system and it will automatically modify the boot loader that is on disk 0, the first driving your system. I think you said You  had Vista t on your system. You can either install Windows 7 on top of the other  operating system or you can choose to install Windows 7 on the second drive.(Or the first drive, if you wish.)
        Windows 7 will work perfectly well with the partition of 80 GB, and it works quite well even with much less. You should make sure that you have Windows 7 up and running first before you attempt to install Windows 10.
        Again, you must have some space available to install Windows 10. Windows 10 can be installed almost anywhere you want to on the disk, but there is a preference to install it near the beginning of the disk if possible.

Once you have a suitable amount of space open up you can shut down the machine and reboot with your boot media that has the installation program for Windows 10.

Bear in mind that during the installation process the disk drives may not be correctly identified by drive letter. So you should have some other way to identify which partition is which. Using appropriate Label Names  helps a lot. Also, the size of the partition can be helpful, but it's not always accurate. One utility might show that you have an 80 GB partition, but another utility mycologist 79.5 GB partition. That's a common problem and can cause confusion. That is why you want to use labels instead of depending just on the drive letter or the size of the partition.
        I assume you have backups of any important data you need. The many to partition Wizard ours works good for me, but there's always the possibility that you could damage the partition it already has data on it, so proceed with caution.

I am not sure of what you're particular scheme is, but you may wish to have all your operating systems on the first driving your system. The work if there's enough drive space for each operating system. I found for my own experience that you can allocate as little as 40 GB to any the current Windows operating systems and it will install just fine. The trick then is to put. Library's of photos, videos and music onto one of your other drives and identified them as your libraries for the user that you normally use. This is one way to take full advantage of the disk space you have and yet have several operating systems on one huge hard drive. Done properly, you could share the libraries across more than one operating system in most cases. It is more of a hassle when using an older operating system like Windows XP.
        If you restrict yourself to using just Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 10 a version, you shouldn't have any foreseeable problems with disk management.
        I hope this of the some help to you. I need to get to bed now
        End of dictation.

Easiest installation if this is a desktop computer would be to use 2 hard drives. Connect one drive and install Windows 7. Then disconnect that drive while leaving it in the desktop computer case and connect the second hard drive and install Windows 10. When done shutdown the computer and connect both drives. One of them, usually the one at the lowest SATA port such as SATA0 would be the default boot drive. If you want to boot to a different drive you can use the F9 key at boot to select an alternate boot device in which you can select the other hard drive and boot the other OS.

Ever since the BIOS bootable device choice option came into the picture, I have used this means of multiple boot systems vs trying to get 2 or more OS to work in harmony on a single drive. The only combinations that work flawless for me on the same drive is when Linux and Windows on a single drive in which I install Windows to a small partition of the drive leaving a set amount large enough for Linux to be installed with some extra room for adding programs and Data that only Linux would have access to, and then after Windows is installed then install Linux at which Linux does a very good job at detecting Windows being present and gives you the ability to make a dual boot system with Grub boot loader in control of what OS is booted by user at boot where you have a choice selection with a timeout to default boot etc.

Thank you guys for all the answers, This is much appreciated, Well you both helped me a lot so thanks for that, Well I will try to use YouTube for that too, So have a good day guys :) See ya ;)