Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Tax Scam 2018. Fake phone calls  (Read 6457 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Tax Scam 2018. Fake phone calls
« on: April 27, 2018, 02:52:36 PM »
This is a fake IRS number: 800 218 5846 and just now I got it.
Here is a report from the IRS on this new twist:
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/phone-scams-pose-serious-threat-remain-on-irs-dirty-dozen-list-of-tax-scams
IR-2018-40, March 6, 2018

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service reminded taxpayers to be careful with continuing aggressive phone scams as criminals pose as IRS agents in hopes of stealing money. These continuing phone calls remain a major threat to taxpayers and remain on the annual IRS "Dirty Dozen" list of tax scams for the 2018 filing season.

During filing season, the IRS generally sees a surge in scam phone calls threatening such things as arrest, deportation and license revocation if the victim doesn’t pay a bogus tax bill. In a new twist being seen in recent weeks, identity thieves file fraudulent tax returns with refunds going into the real taxpayer’s bank account – followed by a phone call trying to con the taxpayer to send the money to the scammer.

The Dirty Dozen is compiled annually by the IRS and lists a variety of common scams taxpayers may encounter any time during the year.

To help protect taxpayers, the IRS is highlighting each of these scams on 12 consecutive days to help raise awareness. The IRS also urges taxpayers to help protect themselves against identity theft by reviewing safety tips prepared the Security Summit, a collaborative effort between the IRS, states and the private-sector tax community.
Warn your  family and friends about this new scam.  :)
Do not respond to any call that claims to be from the IRS, unless you are expecting a call.   Normally the IRS does not make surprise phone calls.
For Taxpayers Who Don’t Owe Taxes or Don’t Think They Do:
    Do not give out any information. Hang up immediately.
    Contact TIGTA to report the call. Use their IRS Impersonation Scam Reporting web page. Alternatively, call 800-366-4484.
    Report it to the Federal Trade Commission. Use the “FTC Complaint Assistant” on FTC.gov. Please add "IRS Telephone Scam" in the notes.
See above link for moire details.   8)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 03:15:31 PM by patio »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Tax Scam 2018. Fake phone calls
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 03:15:57 PM »
I corrected your spelling in the Topic line...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 03:36:29 PM »
I sometimes receive E-mails telling me it is from the IRS and they found some anomalies on my last Tax Return. I would certainly find that unusual given that I'm Canadian and therefore the appropriate agency would be the CRA.

Though some of the scammers have adapted and do actually claim they are from the CRA. Notwithstanding that the CRA never actually contacts people by E-mail, they seem to just replace  IRS with CRA. It will suggest there were "anomalies on your 1040". 1040 is the IRS form. the Canadian Tax Return Form is the T1 General.

Though, that is all intentional. Scams are less about "tricking" people directly as much as they are about funneling the most gullible people you can towards your schemes. If you can convince an elderly UK resident they didn't pay their UK income taxes to the IRS, you've hit scammer paydirt.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 03:46:30 PM »
Doesn't qualify as "news"...been goin on quite awhile now...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

callen

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 11:11:34 PM »
    This is a fake IRS number: 800 218 5846 and just now I got it.
    Here is a report from the IRS on this new twist:
    https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/phone-scams-pose-serious-threat-remain-on-irs-dirty-dozen-list-of-tax-scamsWarn your  family and friends about this new scam.  :)
    Do not respond to any call that claims to be from the IRS, unless you are expecting a call.   Normally the IRS does not make surprise phone calls.See above link for moire details.   8)

I also got few calls from these IRS scammers using different number since last week. I Googled the number and found that some people have reported the number as scam at http://www.whycall.me/845-450-2153.html even since few months ago. I just blocked it now.