Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Making boot CD for win98  (Read 4264 times)

herbalist

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • resident paranoid
    Making boot CD for win98
    « on: December 26, 2005, 11:18:19 PM »
    I've written some batch files for my win98 unit which run in DOS. One makes copies of the registry files, several core system files,  my core security apps and their configuration files, user startup folder, etc. The other batch file is called from autoexec.bat and overwrites these files and folders at reboot. It's basically a system restore that runs in DOS for the more vulnerable parts of my OS.
    The whole thing works quite well but still has a degree of vulnerability with the backups, batch files, and bootup being on the hard drive. I'd like to move the whole thing to a CD and have my system boot from that CD. My burning software, Burnatonce, is supposed to be able to make bootable CDs but I haven't been able to make it work. I need the CD to use my autoexec.bat and config.sys files for the rest of my setup to work properly. Most of Bart's tools don't run on win98, so what would I use to do this? I'd prefer to not have to use a separate boot floppy if possible.
    Rick

pcdoc4christ

Re: Making boot CD for win98
    « Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 05:36:42 AM »
    Herbalist:

I use Nero to burn bootable CDs and have not had any problems with the software:

http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/Products.html

It is compatible with Windows 98 SE:

http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/Nero_7_Premium_System_Requirements.html

Best regards,
    Doc

herbalist

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • resident paranoid
      « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 01:02:15 AM »
      I see that the trial version of Nero is a 100+mb download. That's definitely a bit more than I can justify to make one bootable CD, especially when I'm on dialup. With win98, I'd never use most of its features. BingBurn and some of that other software looks like a possibility.
      For right now, I am using a boot floppy and starting in DOS, calling the batch files from the CD. It's not quite what I had in mind but it gets the job done. It definitely takes quite a bit longer to boot completely to windows though. A bit inconvenient but worth it.
      Rick

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 06:25:56 PM »
      Not too long ago i purchased a 52x CD-RW drive that came with Nero Express for free, all for $15.00 after rebates.

Check Best Buy, Circuit City, or some other outlet.

Doc