Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop processor performance  (Read 2353 times)

Little Marine

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Laptop processor performance
    « on: April 30, 2018, 07:27:23 AM »
    I am looking at different laptop specifications. Some of them have an I3 or I5 processor. They will have a base speed of 1.8 ghz with a turbo speed of around 3.7. I read that the processor will speed up to 3.7 when needed. Some have a speed of 2.7 with no turbo speed. Which one is better?
    Thanks

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Laptop processor performance
    « Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 09:11:25 PM »
    i5 is better than an i3. The turbo speed is a good thing as for the CPU will self regulate the clock to be faster as thermal design and power management setting/rule allows.

I have a AMD A8-5545m that is 1.7Ghz quadcore with 2.7Ghz Turbo and its running at 1.7Ghz when idle and when not much processing power is needed and it runs to 2.7Ghz frequently and hovers around an average of 2.4Ghz as the system steps the processor speed around as needed and as able to keep cool.

I have a i3 laptop and it runs at 2.1Ghz and the turbo kicks in when needed but its not a gaming laptop so. I have an older Core i7 laptop that can be used for gaming but its GPU is kinda limited to todays standards given its a first generation core i7 laptop and they have moved on to 8th generation now years later. SO be sure when looking at i3 and i5 as to what generation they are as it can be misleading. Additionally compare benchmarks and look at user reviews for each processor to see if it is what you want before buying into it.

Little Marine

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: Laptop processor performance
      « Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 05:33:49 AM »
      Thanks for the help