Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is possible by any way to install Vista to FAT32 partition?  (Read 5478 times)

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Is possible by any way to install Vista to FAT32 partition?
    « on: April 30, 2018, 06:07:48 PM »
    Hi!

I have old notebook and want to install there Vista.
    Vista for reason that it is last Windows with single partition. I need to leave rest 3 partitions as primary for other OSes, so Win7 and later are not possible to use.
    I know that XP still had selection of filesystem - FAT32 or NTFS. I don't want XP, really.
    Exist any fix to force Vista install to FAT32 partition?

Thank you for each help.
    Miro

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Is possible by any way to install Vista to FAT32 partition?
    « Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 06:18:07 PM »
    1 question...why does the Vista partition need to be FAT 32 ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 08:21:55 PM »
      I have on notebook as main installed MS-DOS 7.10 and it can access FAT32.
      DOS is main OS and this is reason.

I know that existing tools to handle NTFS, but I never seen Read/Write and even not outside the tool.
      Or is any?

Miro

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 12:22:49 PM »
      (deleted what i typed when i reread that you have a notebook)

Was going to suggest adding a 2nd hard drive as FAT32

Would you happen to have a desktop computer to do all of this with, OR run virtual systems on the Vista OS?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 12:47:39 PM »
      Here is something that could be attempted. One would imagine that the DOS system does not need to get into any the system files used by VISTA. The only area of common interest would be the documents the user. The documents for the user can be moved to folder in another partition. The other partition can be FAT32.

Here is something that could be attempted. One would imagine that the DOS program does not need to get into any the system files used by feast to. The only area of common interest would be the documents and settings.
      The documents for the user can be moved to folder in another partition. The other partition can be FAT32.

The user might try this: create a NTFS partition large enough to hold the operating system for VISTA. Create another partition using FAT32. Move the my documents folder over to the similar folder on the new partition made in FAT32.

Here is something that could be attempted. One would imagine that the DOS program does not need to get into any the system files used by feast to. The only area of common interest would be the documents and settings.
      The documents for the user can be moved to folder in another partition. The other partition can be FAT32.

The user might try this: create a NTFS partition large enough to hold the operating system for VISTA. Create another partition using FAT32. Move the my documents folder over to the similar folder on the new partition made in FAT32.

How to move "My Documents" is explained somewhere.

The OP  might try this: create a NTFS partition large enough to hold the operating system for VISTA. Create another partition using FAT32. Move the my documents folder over to the similar folder on the new partition made in FAT32.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 01:19:54 PM »
      See Here...

But after a quick read of the procedure i doubt it'll go on a notebook....
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 04:42:44 PM »
        Thank you, will try later.

Miro