Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Apple or Intel. Who is moving into the future?  (Read 2094 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Apple or Intel. Who is moving into the future?
« on: May 01, 2018, 11:55:55 AM »
This is not exactly news, but it might be. (This is Other.)
Just when Intel is ready to announce an "Core i9 " CPU, the Verge posted this provocative title:
Apple is moving on from Intel because Intel isn’t moving anywhere
Attend any major tech exhibition and you’ll find Intel announcing or reannouncing mildly improved processors. Whether you’re at IFA in Berlin, CES in Las Vegas, or Computex in Taipei, the spiel is always the same: the future is wireless, battery life matters to everyone,
If there’s one unifying theme to define everything that Apple does, it’s integration. From integrating components on a logic board to integrating an entire ecosystem of Apple devices like the iPhone, Macs, AirPods, and HomePod to integrating supply and distribution lines under its centralized control.
In short, the article alleges that Intel is just not moving fast enough to to lead the way into the future of electronic technology.
Here is the link:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/3/17191986/apple-intel-cpu-processor-design-competition
Meanwhile, here is the latest blurb from Intel:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/3/17188994/intel-core-i9-laptops-coffee-lake-14-nm-architecture-processor-faster-u-series-i5-i7-optane
Ever since Intel announced its first Core i9 processor for desktops last year, it’s only been a matter of time until the company brought that branding to laptops, too. Today, Intel is announcing its first Core i9 chip for laptops, with what it claims is “the best gaming and creation laptop processor Intel has ever built.”
Yes, that is also from The Verge. But others have also reported the Intel stuff recently. The new CPU might be called the Core  i9 chip. Apparently Apple is not buying into the hype.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 12:10:11 PM by Geek-9pm »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Apple or Intel. Who is moving into the future?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 01:25:25 PM »
In short, the article alleges that Intel is just not moving fast enough to to lead the way into the future of electronic technology.
Here is the link:

This assertion isn't anywhere near accurate....Just cause iNtel doesn't do it the way Apple chooses to do it is irrelevant.

For reaffirmation of this take a look at Market share.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Apple or Intel. Who is moving into the future?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 01:48:17 PM »
Apple's mobile devices are where their real revenue lies, and as a result their laptops and desktops and their Operating Systems for such have been B-team efforts. This seems like an effort to effectively sunset all their Desktop and Laptop efforts and the "general" OS X Operating System, and have everything running some version of iOS, rather than have separated iOS and  OS X.

It doesn't make much sense for Apple to effectively point fingers at Intel when Apple hasn't even been properly using Intel's processors anyway. Even their highest-end offerings have insufficient cooling to prevent the CPU from thermal throttling.

The Core i9 Processor is not "new"- as your second quote mentions it was announced last year and they have been available since around November 2017. They aren't relevant to Apple, however, who as mentioned is barely able to engineer their systems for TDP of the i7 processors in their highest end SKUs.

They are fundamentally the "Extreme Edition" processors which provide the highest core count, overclocking, and performance at a massive price premium.. They aren't even an upgrade option from i3/i5/i7 since they actually use a different socket.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.