Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IS there any server software for Windows XP?  (Read 2194 times)

Ajfer03

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • Your everyday nerd.
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
IS there any server software for Windows XP?
« on: May 03, 2018, 08:13:56 AM »
Hey everyone, I recently fixed an old, underpowered Toshiba netbook of mine. The specs are; 1GB of DDR2 RAM, 250 GB HDD, and an Intel Atom 1.6 Ghz processor. It was originally running Windows 7 Starter, which was a bottleneck in itself. My parents downloaded a virus on the laptop so I formatted the hard drive and installed Windows XP. It runs so well on the machine, sometimes that CPU fan doesn't even run! Only problem I have is I want to use this as a storage server for my house. A 250 gb hard drive is plenty for what I want it for. I currently have it running as a NAS pretty well, but I wanted to take it a step further and install a program like SeaFile to host them online. However, every program I have tried is not compatible. Any solutions would be much appreciated! Thanks!
"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: IS there any server software for Windows XP?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 09:29:50 AM »
What have you already tried?
From Microsoft:

Windows Home Server 2011 is now available!
Your life has gone digital - it is time to simplify your life so you can easily access your files, photos, videos, and music from any PC or TV in your home, or even while away from home. Windows Home Server was designed for households and home-based businesses that have more than one personal computer.

Windows Home Server at a glance - much more than NAS
If you have multiple PCs with increasingly large amounts of digital photography, music, video, and documents, then protecting, organizing, and connecting this digital media can be a challenging task. Help with managing your digital dilemmas has arrived. Windows Home Server does more than Network Attached Storage (NAS) - take a look.
However, using this as a server for the Internet is not a good idea.  :)
It is a Home Server.

Ajfer03

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • Your everyday nerd.
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: IS there any server software for Windows XP?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 04:11:25 PM »
I have tried SeaFile, Resilio-Sync, and another one that I can't quite remember the name of. Most of them do not list compatibly for windows XP.

And as for leaving as a home NAS only, I just want to see how far I can get with this laptop. I mostly store all of my Operating systems on here a whole 80 GB's of them! I would rather use a simple file server tool instead of having to go through various websites every time I want a distro away from home. :P
"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky