Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Media Player and Codecs  (Read 17142 times)

02bin3

Windows Media Player and Codecs
« on: May 04, 2018, 08:24:14 AM »
After having a virus problem a few years ago Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit was reinstalled on my computer, however, it no longer had Windows Media Player.  After many futile attempts to get a Windows Media download from Microsoft, I gave up and tried other media programs that I was equally unable to download my CDs to so that I could burn music for my car CD player.  I finally got really ticked about this and contacted Microsoft and a very nice tech went into my computer and apparently, Windows Media was there all the time, unbeknownst to me, and all he had to do was check a few boxes and I had Windows Media Player.  However, when I tried to Rip a CD it told me that I didn't have the proper Codecs to do that.  Same message I was getting when I tried to rip a CD from other media programs.  My question is how do I get the proper Codecs for these CDs for Windows Media?  I've looked into it and there have been dire warnings about some of these Codec downloads so I don't know which ones to trust or which ones I need.  I'm not all that tech savvy so any answers to my problem have to be at kindergarten tech level.  Thank you

Mark.

Adviser
  • Forum Regular
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Windows Media Player and Codecs
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 08:50:37 AM »
I last used Windows Media Player to burn MP3 CD’s for my car audio and don’t recall it needing any extra codecs.  And it was Win7 back then too.  So you may have other issues or simply too much has been installed/uninstalled and its now lost the plot.

Don’t know what you have tried with the other media players, but what about trying VLC, it has loads of all the common codecs inbuilt and i’ve had no issues with it burning CD’s for the car.

02bin3

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 09:44:00 AM »
VLC was one of the other media players I tried and I still could not rip a CD.  Kept getting the same sort of message as Windows Media kicked out. It was all about Codecs.  Thank you for your reply.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 09:45:13 AM »
If you used VLC and it didn't work it's likely the burner...

You also may be running onto copy protection which we will not assist with...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

02bin3

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 09:55:32 AM »
Before having to reinstall Windows 7 Pro, I'd never had a problem ripping a CD with Windows Media Player.  So, I don't think it is a matter of copywrite problems, and I don't think that media players would give you the option of ripping if it was illegal to do so for your own personal usage.  I just do not like leaving the original CDs in my car, subject to heat or theft, so making copies preserves my originals.  The warnings are pretty specific about lack of proper Codec(s).  Thank you for your reply

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 10:02:17 AM »
VLC includes practically every codec there is...somethin else is amiss...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 03:01:23 PM »
The warnings are pretty specific about lack of proper Codec(s)
Can you describe exactly what you are doing to either rip or burn a CD that results in this message? Can you give us the full message that you receive?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

02bin3

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 12:52:08 PM »
I put in a CD that I wanted to rip.  It would play OK.  I've tried setting the Rip Settings Format on every choice given and I still get the same message.  I've tried downloading a Codec package that was specific for Windows Media Player and that didn't help.  Attached are two snip-its, one of the initial message I get and then the one that I get from Microsoft when I click on the Web Help Button on that small blue window.  My apologies for taking so long in getting back to you, but sometimes, life gets in the way.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 01:50:14 PM »
The message stating it may be codecs is very generic and shouldn't be taken as Gospel.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 06:26:08 PM »
Yes, as Patio mentions, the error message there is giving a common cause of errors only because there was no specific error related to whatever you received. I expect it had some error code like 0x8000... in it and that is typically what get's looked up on the website. FWIW I don't think your first attachment "made it" so I can't check that one.

02bin3

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 06:06:09 AM »
I will try to send that one again with this reply.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 06:57:35 AM »
My "Guess" is that perhaps the path specified for where to save ripped music is blank. You can access it via Tools->Options (You might have to press Alt to get the menu to appear). It's on the "Rip Music" Tab. Make sure the "Rip Music to this location" path exists.

02bin3

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 11:57:26 AM »
I did find the Rip Music to this Location and did make changes as to how I wanted the files to appear, however, when I clicked on the apply tab I got another message stating that I couldn't do what it was that I wanted to do.  I've attached a snip-it of the small window that came up.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 12:33:13 PM »
Ahh, well, at least we've determined the cause here in that the location is blank.

I've found this thread elsewhere which discusses somebody encountering that second error message. You might have some luck with some of the solutions there. Here is the most popular one:

The error message is caused by the broken rip music location, which can be fixed as follows. In WMP's library, please click Organize, and select Manage libraries - Music . What locations are listed there? If there are any unavailable locations, remove them, and also make sure that a Default save location is set. Do the same for the other libraries (Videos, Pictures, Recorded TV).

If that doesn't help, close WMP, open Windows Explorer, right-click the Music library, select Properties, and click Restore Defaults. After that, make sure that a save location is set (as indicated by a checkmark).

02bin3

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2018, 07:08:47 PM »
BC, Thank you for your last suggestion.  I followed the directions as given in your post and not only is Windows Media Player ripping music but it is burning it, too!  Thanks for hanging in there with me and coming up with the "cure".  ;)  I am a happy camper.  And thank you to Patio & Mark for your interest and help.